Philip (10)

-C

I'm adopted. I think that's the only answer to my problem right now. Adopted son, adopted world, adopted family. Because every other way I try to spin it, it falls to pieces almost immediately. Seriously, though. It only makes sense I'm adopted.

Like, my dad would never fight for my mom's honor... But I'd risk everything for Theo. In a non-creepy way. Like how slipping poems in her locker isn't creepy. It's a creative outlet and all of the jazz... Yeah! That makes sense!

Okay, no, it doesn't. She's just so distracting, and she makes my head go fuzzy. Every thought becomes about her. Her beautiful eyes, reflecting the stars and even outshining them. Her silky hair, a cascading waterfall that's impossible to look away from. Her skin, a beautiful gem without cracks or strains from pressure. And that's only exterior features! Her intelligence makes her sharper and more prepared than anyone in the school, and her personality seems to make everyone else's just vanish and disappear...

Crap, Theo has been talking to me for the past minute. "Huh?"

Her brow furrows. "Philip, we've talked about this!" She sticks her bottom lip out in a pout.

"Sorry, what were we talking about? I swear I didn't mean to zone out!" I desperately try to catch her gaze, wanting to make her laugh... Her laugh is better than any bird singing or any song that plays on the radio and captures my classmates' hearts.

Her shoulders drop. "The letters? Poems? You're supposed to be helping me find out who they're from?"

Right, right. Bright idea number six. Number one was to write poems. Two was to write them about Theo. Three became the scheme to give them to Theo without telling her it was me. Because, come on. Nobody wants to be rejected. Especially over crappy poems. Four was putting them in the locker. Five was not running away when she approached. Which brings us to six, deciding that yeah. I can help her figure out who it is.

Hint. It's me.

"No idea, sorry, Theo. I think it's probably some random kid we don't know." If only she would fall for that.

"Great. Thanks. That's helpful. Now again, for my plan of action..."

"Yeah?" I don't want it to seem like I'm too interested, but I need to know how to thwart this plan.

She sighs. "I'm sorry, I'm forcing you into this. You don't have to help me."

"Nah. I like spending time with you. Even if it's over some stupid sissy." Alliteration. Score!

She smiles. "Okay. You're gonna listen in for any chatter from the guys' side."

I break out laughing, completely interrupting her. When I catch my breath, I notice the dirty look she's giving me. "Oh, sorry. You do realize that nobody will confess to being the mysterious poet? When they're a boy? The boys in our school are meatheads, but they're right about the whole poetry-equals-mockery thing. And anyway, writing poems and capturing your..." Can't say heart, can't say heart, can't say heart. "Thoughts, that would make them public enemy number one."

She snorts. "What? Why?"

"You, miss, have gained a reputation."

She becomes worried. "Oh. A bad reputation?"

"If you count being the hottest girl in school as a bad rep? Then, yes." I nod earnestly. Right before she can reply, the bell goes off and we have to hurry towards class.

I mean, it's a relief that Theo and I are lab partners in Chemistry, but it's still boring as heck. Especially since she's the goody-two shoes. No offense to her. It makes her better, in my opinion.