[F O U R]

SIRIUS BLACK'S WARNING about her best-friend Severus Snape made Maia feel suspicious. Every time she had a study session with Lily and Severus, it seemed off. Severus would always sit on an opposite chair at the back of the library and wouldn't speak to them on a friendly level of a Slytherin was near. Lily-oh-so-oblivious-Evans however, thought nothing was wrong, and kept the conversation up, as bright and bubbly as ever.

As Maia tapped her un-inked quill on her parchment, she re adjusted her position on the lounge chair. Rather than staying with Severus and Lily with their study session, Maia told them that she felt sickly and tired and bailed. She was currently in the common room, balancing her parchment on a book. She was in no rush to complete this essay. This year was rather easy, and she understood all of her subjects. Therefore she got top marks in all of them. However, O.W.L's will be challenging. She wasn't worried like Lily was, as she was gifted with a good memory and a good brain. Maia knew she wasn't going to get a bad mark, as many teachers have told her so.

Thinking of something intelligent and academic, she jotted it down of the parchment and went back to reading the textbook. She only really needed three more sentences and she was finished - which was definitely alright as she was as bored as a student in Math class. Thinking fast, she wrote down some finishing sentences and sighed heavily. Closing her eyes, she rested her body for a second. She listened to the conversations (not eavesdropping, it was like white noise to her) the people in the common room had. She listened to the fire in the fireplace crackling. She listened to her soft breathing.

And then her stomach rumbled.

She growled softly, as though her stomach as interrupting her leisure time. Maia had missed dinner due to over studying. Getting up and picking up her favourite book, she opened the entrance to the portrait and stepped out. Her destination was the kitchens, where she got all of her missed meals. Whistling a small tune, Maia turned the corner and went up two flights of stairs. Then, taking a sharp turn, she heard slight sobbing coming from a door in which she had never seen. It had intricate designs of swirling patterns. Stepping closer, she found that the door knob, a donut shaped knob, had black decayed vine-like patterns was quite fetching. The doors beautiful design and the heart-breaking sobs snapped some decision making in her brain as she found herself reaching for the door knob and opening the door.

The place was rather dark, like a black man-cave. It had leather lounge's with fancy red sub-coloured rims. The book-shelves - packed with books of all shapes and sizes, filling it with intelligence and appeal - lined the walls of the room. They themselves looked to be painted rather darkly as well. There was a fireplace quite like the common rooms - crackling and all - but there was a sort of coldness to it. Actually, there was coldness in the whole room, as if it was decorated not my heart but by appearance. That was the aspect that Maia didn't like.

No longer focusing on the room, but of the person sobbing in a wedge in between two book shelves - she saw the outline of a tall man with shoulder length hair. He was quite pale, but as the fireplace's artificial light didn't hit it him, Maia couldn't identify exactly who he was.

"Hello?" She spoke. Immediately the sobbing ceased. The boy's head snapped up and as quick as lightening it went back down again.

"Are you okay?" Of course he's not okay, idiot. My brain spoke. He once again didn't answer. Maia stepped closer to him. He sniffled but said nothing, so she stepped closer until she was above him. Crouching down, Maia frowned.

"Is that you, Sirius?" She asked.

"Yes, it is Maia." He confirmed icily.

"What's troubling you, my enemy?" Maia asked.

"My family and I have had some issues lately." Maia nodded and Sirius continued.

"They've been sending howlers to me daily saying how much I'm a disgrace to the family and how I don't fit in with the Black family name. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I want have the snobbish, judgemental personality of a regular Black but sometimes it's just overpowering, you know?" He blurted out. Maia was shocked to say the least, but sat down cross-legged before answering.

"It's gotten you stressed?" Maia guessed. Sirius nodded through his arms. Slightly awkwardly, Maia reached for his face and lifted his chin up. He was an exact definition of a beautiful mess - although you wouldn't hear Maia ever say it aloud. Although tear stains ran down his face like an overflowing river, his eyes were red and bloodshot and his hair wasn't it's neat, suave self, he still was deemed attractive. His eyes searched hers as they a long staring competition.

"I know I'm not the best comforter in the world Sirius, but if you ever need someone other than the Marauders, even as your enemy I'll help and listen. I'm here for you." Sirius smiled before breaking and recounting the story of his home life and how it was mentally abusive towards him. He mentioned how they spoiled his brother but he was cast aside. He mentioned how he cried himself to sleep every night because of it. By the end of the hour long story time - Maia was in tears.

"You're so brave." Maia whispered.

"How am I brave?" Sirius snorted.

"You put up with your families anger all on yourself, and you're still here. A proud Gryffindor. You are a true Gryffindor and you know what?"

"What?" He whispered.

"True Gryffindors never give up, alright?" He smiled at her genuinely and for once she smiled back.

"Alright." She stood up and held a hand out for Sirius to take. Loosely helping him up, she was going to let his head go  awkwardly and leave but he pulled her in. Wrapped in a hug, she squeaked but gingerly hugged back. He slightly chuckled but sniffled while doing it.

"You know what, Black?" Maia looked up at him while in his arms.

"You know Black, I don't like you very much as a friend, but I respect you as an individual." She spoke. He nodded and told her he felt the same. Giving him one last squeeze, they awkwardly talked absent mindedly until Maia realised that she needed food in which they parted ways.

____

**EDITED**