"Ta-da! A 1978 Caprice Classic Landau coupe!" She extended her slender arms in a presenting gesture.

How the fuck did she know what this piece of shit was called? 

He would've never pegged her as someone who knew a single thing about cars. Jack examined the car. It looked like it was in good shape. The previous owner must've been a collector or something.

"The guy told me." she answered sheepishly as though she read his mind. The admission made her blush a little. "Here." She tried giving him the keys.

"No Darlin', this is yours." Jack humored her. "You drive." He moved to take the passenger seat but stopped midway seeing that she didn't move and her face dropped.

She slowly shrugged and raised her hands palm up. "I don't-"

She was shitting him. Jack watched her face, looking for a sign of some off date April Fool's joke. It never came. 

"I thought you went to college? How did you commute?" 

Her face twisted into a look that saddened him, the grief of her past appeared to rush back in that moment. He hated seeing that look on her face. Hell, after seeing the way her smile transformed the world around him, he wanted to see nothing but her pearly whites.

"Come on, I'll show you." Jack tried to make it seem as though he wasn't thinking about how odd her latest confession was.

The jump instantly returned to her step and she jumped in the car.

"Okay. Four things you need to know-

"Seatbelts first!" She shouted the way someone does when they've seen countless commercials about driving safety. When she was done buckling herself up, she turned to face him expectantly. Jack couldn't help himself as his eyes trailed down to the space the belt formed between her breasts. "You too."

Snapping out of it, he buckled himself. "Okay, Okay officer Masser."

"Steering wheel, Brakes, gas pedal, gear shift." Jack continued to explain to her what each thing did and when she'd want to use them.

Before he was fully confident in her ability to  steer without throwing  them in front of an oncoming semi, she jumped out of the lot and before he knew what was going on they were speeding down an interstate highway. One of their steep turns nicked a car right on the tail light. To which she mumbled something about pedal to the metal and sped off without stopping. 

Crazy bitch. Jack thought. The last time he was around a woman like her was with she who would not be named. Nostalgia soaked every brain cell making him forget how in danger his life was sitting in the passenger side of this woman. He sat back and watched her experience the liberating feeling that came with interstates. 

Looking back to see what was in the back of the car, he found it covered in trash and cassette tapes. Grabbing one, he read the handwritten label Bruce Springsteen. Jack vaguely recalled the name- he shrugged plopping it in. 

Wendy let me in I wanna be your friend

I want to guard your dreams and visionsJust wrap your legs round these velvet rimsAnd strap your hands across my engines

Deena screamed in excitement and Jack couldn't help but laugh with her. In the weeks that he's known her he's never seen her light up like this. Something so simple. 

"I'm doing it!"

"With the exception of a Volvo's taillight you knocked out. Yes, you are."

"Maybe Edward Cullen was in there," she snickered. 

"Who?" He was sincerely confused, was that an old classmate? A highschool crush, perhaps.

She laughed at the look he gave her. "Nobody, nevermind." 

"So, where'd you learn to drive so well?" he teased. 

"My dad taught me with his rusty truck." she played along. 

Jack looked up noticing that rain was starting to trickle on the windshield. She can probably handle a dry road, but certainly not a wet one.  "Alright kitten pullover right on the left here, lets switch." 

Surprisingly, she didn't argue. Jack drove through the heavy rain. Every now and then he'd look over at Deena. She seemed to be in her own world. She told him she was from Ohio, if she knew anything about geography, she knew that they were getting close to state lines. He wondered what she'd say to the idea of driving by her house. Jack wanted to know where she grew up. He wanted to see what her city looked like- her home- her bedroom. 

They couldn't be but another hour away. He'd bring it up soon enough.

**********

Thanks for stopping by and reading Uncoiled! Please comment, like, or share the story. I'll try my best to continue posting a daily chapter.