I paused for a moment in thought before I glanced up at Kol, "There's something I need to do."

"What is it?" He asked.

I moved from under him and grabbed a shirt off the floor, putting it on, "Something I need to stop running from."

I pushed myself out of bed and put on some jeans, shoes and a jacket. Kol did the same. I grabbed my phone and car keys off the side.

I walked down the stairs and into the kitchen. I opened up a drawer and grabbed a lighter. I met Kol at the front door before I led him to my car and we got in.

▂▂▂▂

I parked up in the car park of Mystic Falls High. Kol I climbed out of the vehicle and walked towards the picnic benches.

My lantern that I had thrown down last night, was now caught between the picnic chair and table. I picked it up and spread it out so it was back to it's normal shape.

"What is this?" Kol asked.

"A lantern." I replied.

He chuckled, "I know, love. But what's it for?"

"Earlier tonight, all my friends were gathered here, lighting these to help us let go of our problems and remember the people we have lost." I sighed, "But as always, I ran away. I'm not doing that anymore, Kol."

I took the lighter from my pocket and lit the lantern, "This is for my parents, everyone my friends have ever lost, anyone you have ever lost, Kol. This is for all the people I have ever killed. And this, this is for me, the old me because I don't want to run away from things anymore."

I let go of the lantern. Kol stood beside me, placing his arm comfortingly around my shoulder as we watched the lantern slowly float through the sky. The biggest weight fell off my shoulders, like a lot of my grief was flying away with the lantern.

▂▂▂▂

It was later in the afternoon and I was walking towards the Lockwood mansion. There were two men standing outside of the doors, looking as though they were guarding the place. As I moved towards the doors, both men held their hands out gesturing for me to stop.

"I'm here to see, Tyler." I told them.

"Who are you?" One asked.

I furrowed my brows, "Uh, who are you?"

"I asked you first, Miss."

"I'm Cassie, a friend of Tyler's. Now if you'll excuse me -- " I tried to open the door but one of them clawed my jacket arm. I snarled, glancing down at it, "Bloody hybrids."

The other hybrid slapped the guys arm, "That's Cassie Fell, you idiot." He turned to me, "Sorry, of course, go in."

I frowned, confused by their actions and walked into the mansion. I scanned around several rooms looking for Tyler. I walked upstairs and came into the study where I saw Tyler pouring himself a drink.

"Hey." I said.

He looked up, "Oh, hey." His eyes wandered to my torn sleeve, "What happened?"