004

Four | The Past and the Curious

Damon and I had been back at the boarding house for about thirty minutes. I'd been in my room for pretty much all of that time, thinking about having this conversation with Damon about us. I felt nervous.

I'd been trying to push him away so I didn't have to feel anything, but I was never good at doing that with someone I loved. I shouldn't love him but I a part of me still did, those feelings I once felt were starting to show themselves again. My nerves get interupted at the sudden sound of Jeremy Gilbert's voice downstairs.

"Oh god, not again." I whispered to myself, listening in on them.

"You came here to kill me?" Damon asked him.

I began to leave my room so I could stop Damon from doing anything remotely harmful to the teen.

"It's only fair. You killed me first." Jeremy replied.

"What made you wisen up?" Damon questioned.

"My father hated vampires, my uncle too. They were absolute." Jeremy told him, "They knew exactly what they stood for and I figure maybe I should too. I mean, stand for something. But killing you, what's that gonna do?"

"Look, I don't do the big brother thing very well. Sorry, I don't have any milk and cookies to offer you." Damon joked.

"Dick." I heard Jeremy walking up the two stairs near the door as I made my way down the main stairs.

"Wait." Damon said, "My father hated vampires too."

"He did?" I saw Jeremy turn around and walked back into the room. I moved close to the wall, watching them, making sure Damon kept his distance from Jeremy.

"For the same reasons your dad did. Only it was 1864. People knew how to whittle." Damon showed Jeremy the stake he must have created himself. I exhaled a quiet laugh from my nostrils, "Did you do this?"

"Yeah I tried." Jeremy responded, "It's a lot harder than it looks."

I walked around the corner and towards the two, "Don't worry, I had to teach Damon how to whittle."

I smirked at the raven-haired Salvatore who was narrowing his eyes at me. Jeremy laughed as I sat down on the sofa across from where he was sitting in the armchair.

"Hey, I was great at it." Damon said proudly.

"No you weren't, you were awful." I laughed. As I caught Damon's eyes, he smiled at me and I smiled back at the memory, we stayed like that for a few seconds before I came back to reality.

"Well, I don't want to get in the middle of you two," Jeremy stood, picking up his bag, "so I'll just go."

I held my hand up, "No, Jeremy, it's fine. If you want to talk to Damon, you can."

"I need to be getting back to Elena." Jeremy said as he headed towards the door, "I'll see you around, Cassie."

"Okay, bye."

I wasn't sure of Jeremy's intention of coming here because I knew he wouldn't hurt Damon. I pushed myself up and walked over to the table of alcohol. I poured some bourbon into a glass before taking a large gulp of the alcohol.

"No, Cassie, there's vervain in -- " Damon vamp ran to me, throwing the glass out of my hand but it was too late.

The glass shattered to the floor. My mouth and throat instantly began to burn as the vervain rushed through my system. I fell to the ground, holding my throat, choking and gasping for air.