009

Nine | The Man In The Mansion

The wind suddenly got taken out of my lungs. My eyes opened as I coughed and groaned at the injury. I had fallen off my bed. I untangled myself from the sheets and pushed myself up, rubbing my back to relieve the slight pain the floor had caused.

I glanced over to the clock to see it was now morning. I sighed as I made my way over to the chest of drawers to grab an outfit for the day. I smiled at the thought of last night. After all these years, Damon was still in love with me.

After changing, I headed into Damon's room. Nobody was there. So I looked into Stefan's. Nobody. I furrowed my brows in confusion and made my way downstairs.

"Damon? Stefan?" I stopped in the middle of the empty living room, I couldn't hear a sound other than myself, "Anyone?"

I sighed and pulled my phone from my back pocket. I dialled Damon's number. It rang a few times before he answered.

"Hey. Where are you?" I immediately asked, holding the phone between my ear and shoulder whilst I put on my shoes.

"Was just about to call." He told me, "On my way to the school. Stefan needs to talk to us, meet me there."

"Why -- " He hung up before I could even ask. I groaned and slid my phone back into my pocket. I put on my leather jacket and grabbed an apple before I headed for the door.

▂▂▂▂

I arrived at the school and examined the outdoor areas, where a lot of teens seemed to be on their lunch break. I eventually spotted Stefan and Damon near the basketball court. I strode over to the pair, throwing the apple core I was holding into a bin.

"Hey, what's happening?" I asked, curious.

"Elena's disappeared. Jeremy said her bed wasn't slept in and her car is still parked in the Lockwood's driveway." Stefan told me. I looked at him confused, "This has Katherine written all over it."

"No, Katherine's in the tomb." I told him, "Trust me. I'm the one who shut her in."

"Did you?" Stefan asked.

"Of course I did." I frowned at him for not having faith in me, "Anything to get rid of that bitch."

Damon looked as though he wanted to say something but was hesitant. It seemed he decided to say it anyway, "She did say something right before we shut her in. I thought she was lying."

"What did she say?" Stefan asked his brother.

"Elena's in danger." Damon said.

I didn't think a frown could form on someones face so fast but Stefan proved me wrong, "What? And you didn't think you should ask her to elaborate?"

"Everything she says is a lie. How am I supposed to know if she's gonna start spouting out the truth?" Damon questioned. I let them argue whilst I surveyed the area around us to make sure nobody was listening. The teens didn't seem interested.

"We have to go talk to her." Stefan stated.

"No, no." Damon frowned, "Let me tell you how thats gonna go: We're gonna go ask her for help, she's gonna negotiate her release, which we're gonna be dumb enough to give her and she's gonna get out and kill us. This is exactly what she wants."

Stefan still continued to frown, "I don't really care."

"It's a bad idea, Stefan." Damon told him.