025

Twenty-Five | Memory Lane

Autumn 1864

I hung the stethoscope around my neck and zipped my bag shut, "You're going to be just fine, Mrs. Rivers. Your heart rate went up from the shock and the cut on your face is minor. I've put a small bandage on it and it should heal fairly quick."

"Thank you, Dr. Fell." She flashed a smile as best as her sweet old face could. I wasn't yet a qualified doctor by law but I didn't want to correct her.

"My pleasure. If you need anything else, send one of your sons to find me." I picked up my bag and left her small, sweet home.

I walked down the wooden stairs at the front of her house and made my way through the woods. I loved to help people. They didn't deserve to be in pain, especially the innocent ones. I watched my brown boots trudge their way through the leaves and branches.

A blonde girl came from the small house to my left. She wore white, just like me and a small bonnet in her hair. She carried a doctors bag. I smiled as she walked towards me, "Lexi."

"Cassie. I just finished healing a patient." She smiled. She was also a nurse, she taught me a lot of what I know. At this time, I didn't know Lexi was a vampire.

"How do you heal people so quickly?" I asked.

"I guess you could say I have a knack for it." She replied, a small laugh in her tone.

"I just hate seeing people in pain." I replied.

"Me too. Well, I must be going. Better not let another patient wait." Lexi smiled.

I nodded, "I'll see you, Lexi."

"Bye, Cassandra." She walked away.

I carried on walking through the woods. I heard a rustle beside me. I quickly looked up. Nobody was there. My pace quickened. Suddenly someone came out from beside me and I swung my bag, hitting them in the chest. I opened my hands in shock, dropping the bag.

"Ow, Cassie." He rubbed his chest.

I laughed, "Don't sneak up on me like that, Damon."

I picked up my bag and carried on walking, Damon followed, "Sorry. Stefan told me where you were working, I thought I would pay you a visit."

"That's very kind. My job is over for the day." I smiled back.

"Then you can come to fathers and join us for dinner."

"Are you asking me or telling me?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Depends on your answer. So, Miss Fell?" He stopped infront of me and bowed, holding out one hand like he was holding an invitation. I laughed, "Will you come to dinner at my fathers tonight?"

I looked to the side, pretending to think about it, "Hm. That depends. Do I get jewellery?"

He shook his head, "No."