024

Twenty-Four | The Beginning Of A Ghost Story

The town was preparing for Night of Illuminations. Some volunteers were walking about the town, hanging lanterns in the trees. I was standing with Alaric and Jeremy as we watched Carol Lockwood on a stage, giving a speech.

"As a long-time member of the Historical Society, I am especially proud to be kicking off this day of festivities. Thank you, volunteers. Tonight, we turn off our town's lights and flare up our lanterns in honor of the night of illumination started by our founders one-hundred and fifty years ago. Here's founding family member Tobias Fell with a history lesson."

Everyone started clapping.

"Fell? Did she say Fell?" I asked.

"Tobias Fell is the head of the history department." Alaric told me. I shot him a look and he exhaled, "I never got a chance to mention it to you considering all that's happened."

"What are we even doing here?" Jeremy asked him, bored.

"Well, I didn't have a choice." Alaric responded.

Jeremy furrowed his brows in confusion, "All right, that explains what you're doing here..."

"Well, I'm the one who can fail you if you don't help me out." Alaric grinned at him.

Elena made her way towards us. I smiled, "Elena, hey."

"Hey, sorry I'm late. What did I miss?" She asked.

"You didn't miss anything." Jeremy sighed.

Tobias Fell was on stage giving a speech. I watched him cloesly, "The first illumination was held in celebration with the newfound prosperity that Mystic Falls enjoyed after the war. The founders, they placed lanterns over the doors to indicate that it was safe for their neighbors to come outside again. That night was an opportunity for the community of Mystic Falls to come together, a chance to strengthen ties with neighbors, business owners, and the -- "

"I'm gonna go see if I can finally get to know a family member after all these years." I said.

"Good luck." Elena replied.

Tobias had finished his speech and I made my way towards the stage. He walked down the steps at the edge. I smiled, "Hi, Tobias. I'm Cassie. That was a great speech."

"Oh, thank you, dear." He replied, returning the smile.

"So, you're head of the history department at the school?" I asked.

"I am. I love history, always have. It's fascinating." He stared at me for a moment, "And you look quite familiar."

I raised an eyebrow, "I do?"

What if he had seen me in a photo from 1864? Or did I have a doppelgänger?

"Maybe its just the old age kicking in."

I softly chuckled, "How long have you live in Mystic Falls?"

"All my life. This is my home." He replied.

▂▂▂▂

After talking for a while with Tobias, we stopped by the stage once again, "Well, I must prepare for tonight. It was lovely meeting you, Cassie."