Chapter Two: Andrew and Declan

Two: "If in doubt, bake a cake"

Evelyn's POV

"THANK YOU, MA'AM," I thanked a customer as I handed her the cakes and puddings she was purchasing. "Come again," I called as the customer headed out of the door. Heaving out a sigh, I tucked a lock of hair to the back of my ear before glancing at the black clock hung on the wall when suddenly, the bell at the front door of the café chimed. Immediately, my head swiveled towards it only to sigh in disappointment when it wasn't him coming in.

Forcing a smile on my face, I welcomed the customer and served him the best I could, the image of the most handsome man I'd ever seen in my life lingering in my head. It had been a normal and uneventful day for me when Andrew approached me out of the blue, handing me a tissue I needed at that moment. I could literally feel the pounding of my heart and the warmth in my cheeks the minute he spoke.

His hair was a messy raven-colored hair and he was incredibly tall, probably 6ft 3, easily towering over the 5ft 7 little me. His eyes were colored blue and I found myself constantly lost in those pools of ocean during our conversation. Andrew was polite and probably the only decent man that I'd come across so far, and I could tell he was a genuine person. And here I thought no one will ever have the slightest interest in me ever again, romantically that is.

Taking a tray filled with slices of strawberry cheese cake and tiramisu, I headed towards the cashier and placed them inside their usual spot for the customers to choose and admire. I, myself, absolutely adored the cakes and puddings - whether to be eaten or just to be observed in wonder. Whenever I had extra cash in my pocket, I would buy a slice of cake and eat them during my break. It was no wonder why I was more to the meaty side and it showed, especially in my hips. I've been trying to tone down the cake eating, but when you're working at a café, how can you resist the delight of sweets and savory when you're constantly surrounded by them 8 hours a day!

So I'm a bit doomed from the start, aren't I?

Mrs. Durant, the owner of the café I was working at and a good friend of mine, always said that men always preferred curvaceous women rather than the skinny ones, much to my amusement. She also said so that men could have something to grab or squeeze to their hearts' content. I had a feeling she was just trying to appease my insecurities but I could tell Mrs. Durant was sincere.

Lucky by Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat was playing softly in the background when the bell at the door chimed again, signaling the presence of a customer that was yet to be served. Quickly placing the tray away, I rushed towards the cashier only to be hit with a familiar and toes-curling male cologne as it soon followed by a voice speaking a single word - well actually, two. Sorry, my brain is not perfectly functioning presently. (Well, sue me!)

"Hello, Evelyn,"

Andrew! The insides of my stomach churned the way it did a week ago when I first met Andrew and I could feel the warmth of my cheeks the minute my eyes took him in. His hair was in its usual mess and he was wearing a blue polo shirt and knee-length khakis. A folded newspaper was tucked just under his armpit. Compose yourself, Evelyn! It's just a guy. Just a guy, just a guy.

I smiled softly. "Andrew. Good morning," I watched as he walked closer towards the cashier, my heart pounding rapidly as he did so. "How can I help you?"

Andrew gave me a polite nod and I couldn't help but notice how he was not acting like he was the first time. This Andrew felt more formal and somewhat distant. He then shoved his hands in his jeans and said, "Good morning. I'd like a cup of Americano with a slice of Upside Down Cheesecake Apple Pie. Thank you,"