Chapter Three: Misunderstandings and Ruby

Three: "Cake is for life, not just for birthdays"

Andy's POV

GOD, EVELYN WAS GORGEOUS as ever.

Her luscious locks of hair was tied into a tall ponytail this time and the rosy color of her cheeks teased me to no end, and I had to shove the mental image of me running my fingers through those tresses or kissing the soft-looking skin in the recycle bin of my brain. For God's sake, how am I supposed to do this?

After finding out that the woman I was in love with was married or at least, not single, I found myself feeling dejected and glum for days. I even vowed to myself to forget her existence and the day when we first met because being in love with somebody else's wife was never listed in my bucket list. (Not that I have any, though). My father would surely castrate me if that were to happen.

He'd say, "We are the Curtis men, son! And the Curtis men strives to be the best in any way. Be it with treating a woman right or helping others in need! Remember that, son,"

However, I couldn't seem to get Evelyn out of my head. I knowhow ridiculous it sounds to actually fall in love with some stranger like that, but I could not help myself. I'd always thought that love was nothing but a foreign and an alien concept for me for I'd never been in love before in my life. Sure there were hook-ups, dates and one-night stands here and there, but never The One.

But, Evelyn. God, Evelyn was different. She was beautiful, kind, gentle and she was perfect. I was almost certain Evelyn was The One, I have to admit. Granted, I did not know anything about this gorgeous woman with the most enticing curves I'd ever seen except her first name and the fact that she worked at the café. Oh, and she loved sweets.

Typing vigorously on my phone, I was having a difficult time fighting the urge to climb over the counter and pin her on the wall and capture her mouth in a vigorous and shameless kiss until she forgot her own name. Ugh, tone it down, Andy! The subject of my lewd fantasies was currently busy with writing something on a book when I heard her gasp before running straight past me towards the door.

"Declan!"

Both the name and the excitement in Evelyn's voice to this Declan made me break out in a cold sweat and stomach churned in dejection. Am I ready for this? Am I ready to face this and accept the reality that Evelyn will never be mine?

Clenching my fists, I swiveled around with a deadly glower in my face only to have my jaws dropped on the floor when I saw a little boy being hugged to Evelyn's chest like her life depended on it. It was then occured to me that Declan was Evelyn's little son. Seeing the way she fussed over the little boy made my heart warm for could I tell Declan was her whole world. That Evelyn would do anything and everything for him.

"Sir?" A voice startled me and I turned towards the heavily-pierced (in the face) red head at the counter, holding out my orders for me. "Your orders," Evelyn and her son were already headed outside and I ignored the pang in my chest when she just walked past me like I was no longer significant in her life. I don't blame her though, it was clear as day that Evelyn was upset to my sudden change when it was obvious I was flirting with her just the other day.

Taking my cake and Americano before thanking the young cashier, I was then about to head towards the main entrance and get the hell out of here when her sentence stopped me.

"You like her, don't you?"

Upon hearing her, my head snapped towards her direction and I was sure my eyes were wide as a saucer, my mouth opened and closed like a fish. "Excuse me?" I watched as she - Ruby - placed her chin on her palm, looking at me with a bored expression whilst chewing on her gum.

"Evelyn," She said. "I know you like her. It's blatantly obvious from the way you undress her with your eyes and basically fucking her in your mind,"

Instantly, I choked on my own saliva upon hearing those bold sentences, thumping my chest a few times to compose myself. Ruby, decided to be... nice, went over the counter and patted me on my back several times. "W-well that's a way to put it," I cleared my throat and thanked Ruby after she handed me a glass of water. After several moments of composing myself and the awkward moment had long passed by, I began. "My feelings for Evelyn doesn't matter anyway. I might as well give up,"

Ruby frowned as she began to clean the counter, transferring a few cupcakes to the front row to fill the empty ones. "What are you getting at? Giving up? When literally nothing has even started? I didn't know you were such a pussy,"

I flinched and couldn't help but remark, "You have such ways with words, ma'am,"

"Zip it!" She hissed. "Why the hell are you giving up when you haven't even started anything yet, you freaking dumbass?"

"Ma'am, pardon my intrusion... but aren't you supposed to be... uh, working?"

"I put my job at risk because of the both of you!" The young cashier hissed, her eyes filled with fire that was so fiery beyond belief. "Now, tell me. Why do you think your feelings for Evelyn doesn't matter?"

Heaving out an exasperated sigh, I shook my head. "It's painfully obvious, isn't it? Evelyn is happily married with her husband and together, they have a beautiful son whose name is Declan. If I were to make certain advances towards Evelyn, I would be considered as an intruder now, wouldn't I? I don't want to destroy what she already has and the things that she treasures the most," I then watched as the young cashier sighed, popping another gum in her mouth.

"You should do what you think right. It isn't my place to tell you but I think the most important thing for you to know right now is that there is no husband," She explained, her tone softened. "It's only Declan and her,"

***

It was then the next day when I decided to pay Evelyn a visit at the café. I had trouble sleeping last night because I kept on thinking about her. And the things I'd do for, with and to her the minute she became mine. Oh, I promise you - Evelyn will be mine. Now that I knew there wasn't any husband around, I'd pursue her properly, slowly courting her and finally, owning her heart.

I know, I must be some kind of regency era gentleman of some sorts in my past life.

As if the luck was on my side, today was Tuesday and there was no Gym classes at the high school on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays for the junior years. Henceforth, a day off for me. (I was a Gym teacher teaching junior year students). Parking my Optima at the car park in front of the café Evelyn worked at, I gave the single purple rose and box filled with chocolates placed on the passenger seat at a nervous glance.

Hopefully Evelyn would forgive me for being aloof and distant to her yesterday.

Letting out a breath, I killed the engine of my car and walked out of the vehicle, a box of chocolate in my right hand and a single purple rose in the other. I gave myself a quick scan on my car window and then made my way towards the cafés entrance. As usual, the bell dinged as I pushed the glassed door open and I could practically feel my stomach churned inside me.

My eyes went to scan around the café, disappointed that Evelyn was nowhere to be found. Instead, I found Mrs. Durant, the cafés owner, standing behind the counter, seemingly busy calculating things and reading through some papers. She greeted me, as usual, and asked if I'd like some cakes or puddings but I declined, asking for Evelyn's whereabouts instead.

"Why, Evelyn requested for a day off today, dearie. You won't be seeing her at all today. But you can come tomorrow!"

I pursed my lips. There is no way I'd give up just like this. "Say, do you happen to know her whereabouts? I promise you, I don't intend to hurt Evelyn. I... I need to give her these," I gestured at the box and flower lamely and watched as the plump woman squealed in delight.

"Oh, romantic men these days are scarce, so I heard! Oh but they're wrong!" Mrs. Durant exclaimed. "Evelyn told me yesterday that she was going to bring Declan to the park today. Go!"

|END OF CHAPTER THREE|

:
:
:

Author's Notes:
Do vote and comment what you think!