Wafi seemed pained. Hurt. But there was nothing else I could do except hope he understood. I needed to get the truth. Or what would satisfy me. Fill the holes in the story.

Wafi sighed. He slumped in his seat. "We need to talk to Mich."

"We do. But he's not coming back until next weekend."

"I am not waiting till next week." He turned to stare at me meaningfully. "Call him."

"No." I replied immediately. "I want him to be here when I ask him questions. This is not something you do over a phone or a screen."

There was a groan of irritation. "All this technology and we have to wait a week to get answers."

"Be patient. You've waited sixteen years, you can wait six more days."

"Seventeen."

"Don't remind me."

There was a heavy silence as the two of us went over all that had been revealed. The heaviness faded away to something awkward and I shifted uneasily as Wafi fidgeted with his shirt button.

"Uh... It's getting late. Uncle will be worried." Wafi spoke up slowly. "I should get going."

I stood up, internally relieved. "Right. Give him my regards, or whatever." I managed a genuine looking smile as he stood as well. He threw one back, more genuine than mine. He has more practice after all.

I quietly followed him to the door and held it open for him. The beer can from last night still lay desolate on the gravel as we walked to the car. I picked it up as Wafi turned around to face me. He glanced at the can before smiling again. A better one this time.

"I never did thank you for last night. So..." He shrugged and held out a hand. "Thanks."

Confusion passed through me as I looked at the offered palm before I remembered I'd told him I don't like getting hugs from strangers. "Oh. Well, I couldn't leave you out there. And I guess this makes us even for the whole nose thing, so..." I slowly spread my hands, a sheepish look on my face as I tried to hide my discomfort. "Truce... brother?"

Surprise took up residence on his face. His vision flickered from his outstretched hand to my outstretched arms before a sudden change took over him.

His face lit up like I hadn't seen before. A wide grin, happiness in his eyes. They crinkled at the edges, his gray eyes seeming to light up from within. It was breathtaking. He moved into my arms without a second thought. His hands closing tightly around my body as he pressed his face into my shoulder.

"Thank you." He whispered to me. "Thank you for coming back."

My arms wrapped around him out of habit. I let him hold me as long as he needed, his nose pressed to my shoulders, arms wrapped so tight around me I could barely breathe. I didn't like hugs but... this felt nice.

I stayed outside to watch him leave. Wafi waved from his car one last time before he zoomed away. I had a few decisions to make. It took a while for me to make up my mind. The silence helped me think. A little digging around fetched my trenchcoat and a pair of thick leggings. A twenty minute walk in fine, non-trench weather took me to the portal. Luckily, my favorite attendant was on duty.

"Hey, Maria." I called out before entering the metal detector. "Been a while."

"Fiera!" She chirped happily. The Hispanic, forty-two year old with a wide posterior waved her security wand over me as she decided to escort me over to the portal. "Where to, hun?"

"Wherever Mich is now." I sighed and turned a sheepish grin towards her. "You know how it goes."

"It's a bit cold in Europe this time of the year, sweetie. Sun's almost about to set as well." She threw my outfit a concerned look. "You're going to get sick."