Chapter 5 Goodbyes

Start from the beginning

By the time Miss Sewell finish telling me all the details of the cover story we were already at my house. We got off together and I realised that she didn't have any of her bodyguards with her. I looked at her questioningly but she didn't seemed to notice. Right, I forgot I was the mind-reader here. Haha. Even making jokes now about my situation seemed quite half-hear ted and lame.

She rung the doorbell and we stood on the porch for few seconds before someone answered the door. The door opened and my mother was standing behind it. Her face lit up when she said I was standing outside the door.

'Abby, thank god you are alright!' She said and was about to hug me when she caught sight of Miss Sewell, who gave a very timely cough. My mum stopped halfway and straighten back up, putting on a polite smile and turned to Miss Sewell. 'Hi, are you someone from the hospital bring Abby back? Thank you so much! You could have just called us.'

'Hi, you must be Mrs Beckett. I am actually a teacher at the School of Medical and Science here to talk to you about Abigail.' Miss Sewell put on her best smile and showed my mum a badge which I assume would be her fake teacher ID. She extended a hand to my mother, whose smile changed into a genuine one when School of Medical and Science was mentioned and shook Miss Sewell's hand.

'Come on in then.' She said and stepped aside to let Miss Sewell and me into the house, but not before she shot me a questioning look. I shrugged at her and mouthed you'll see back, I didn't want to say too much in case it conflicts with what Miss Sewell says later.

Miss Sewell settled down at the sofa gracefully while my mum went to fetch my dad from his study. As if on cue the last member of my family skipped happily into the room.

'Abbbbbbbby!' Dan screamed and tackled me when he saw me sitting on the sofa, causing me to be crushed back and knocking the wind out of me. This kid looked too small to be this strong. 'Are you okay? Mun and Dad said you got injured and you couldn't come home and we couldn't go and visit you? So are you okay now? You are not really sick are you?' Dan shoved his face into my stomach and started muffling into my jumper.

'Yes, I am fine now.' I laughed and ruffled his hair, he wiggled his head into my stomach that feels like he was attempting to wipe his face on my jumper. I laughed again, then felt a stare on me with realised with a jolt that Miss Sewell was looking at me with an amused look on her face.

Feeling slightly embarrassed by the PDSA (public display of sibling affection, that's what Elizabeth called it) I gently removed Dan from my lap just as my parents re-entered the room.

'Hi Mr Beckett.' Miss Sewell stood up and said, shaking hands with my father. Dan looked startled to see a stranger in our home and ran to hide behind my mother immediately.

We all sat back down on the sofa while Dan still clinging onto mum. Miss Sewell had a smile on her face the whole time while my family looked nervous.

'I am a teacher from The School of Science and Medicine.' She began, clasping her hands together in front of her. My parents tensed at the school name and leaned closer to Miss Sewell listening more intently. Even Dan pulled his face out from my mum's back to listen.