~Prologue~

Every single day seemed to on for hours and you were sick of it. You wanted something exciting to happen in your life.

Early in the morning your alarm clock would ring and you would resist the urge to throw it across the room. After forcing yourself out of the bed, you get dressed and leave the house, wishing the day would go by fast.

The college campus wasn't too far from your small house that you payed little money for. It had two bedrooms, a small bathroom, and a medium sized kitchen that you rarely ever went in. Who needs a kitchen when you have a phone and a pizza place just right down the street?

You would walk to school, head down and eyes cast to your feet, knowing if you looked up, people would be judging you for just walking. They would all give you glares or mutter mean things under their breath, but they would not dare to go near you. For some reason, people just started to freak out whenever they went near you. It's been like that for about a couple months. They felt watched.

It was odd to you, but you shrugged it off. You did feel eyes on your back but thought nothing of it. As a little girl, you did think you had an angle watching over you. Maybe that was the case?

After an exhausting day of boring lessons, tons of unneeded homework, and people glaring at you from across the room, you would stumble into your house with dark circles under your eyes. You would always throw your backpack full of homework by the door.

The same routine every single day. You get up, go to school, come home, and then sleep.

The only days you could be yourself was on the weekend. You're a big nerd, including tons of gaming and baggy clothes. You would wear contacts on the days you went to school and glasses when no-one could see you.

Yet, it still wasn't enough. Your parents rarely came to see you and you didn't have any friends. All alone.

That all changed on your twentieth birthday.

Your parents were in some other state, partying away, forgetting about their only daughter. You sat alone at the table, staring at the candle jammed into your cupcake you got from the store. Your eyes glaze over with uninterest as you blow out the candle. Your lips curl into a pitiful smile, running a hand through your hair.

"Happy birthday to me..."

You shove the cupcake away, laying your forehead on your arms, wishing for this birthday to be different. You wanted to have people laughing with you, not forgetting about you.

A cold chill sweeps from the room, making goosebumps cover your uncovered arms. It was unnatural. It wasn't your air conditioner turning on for sure.

Your eyes catch a glimpse of a pink card on the floor in the doorway, chills running up and down your spine. Cautiously getting off your chair, you bend down and pick it up, hands shaking. You flip over a page, eyes going wide and lips tightening.

'I hope you a have a rad birthday, (Y/n)!'

You drop the card, backing away into the table your cupcake sat on. This had to be some sick joke, right?

"Yo, broski, you seem pale..."

You freeze at hearing a male voice behind you. His voice was laced with happiness, something you hadn't heard it a while.

"W-who are you?" You ask, squeezing your eyes closed, not bothering to turn around.

"I'm just your average friendly skeleton, dawg!"

You whip around, curious to see if he was actually a skeleton. Sure enough, he was one. You stare in shock, mouth open so wide it could catch flies. He was dressed in some really colorful clothes and his shades had the word: Yolo written on them. His red and yellow hat was on sideways and his smile stretched quite far across his skeletal face.

"Yo, you look, like, really upset..." He points out.

A hand goes to your mouth, trying to conceal your scream of fear. He notices your panic, teeth clenching together.

"I'm not going to hurt you... I'm actually here to make you feel better."

It was like his serious switch was flipped on. He acted... serious. Your eyes narrow, still unsure if you could trust the guy that just randomly showed up in your house.

"Fresh is the name, being your friend and protector has and is my game!" His smile returns, sending one your way.

You didn't know he watched over you, but he wanted it like that. After all, he wasn't in his body. Just a hologram, ghostly figure of himself. He looked real, but in all reality, he couldn't leave the anti-void. This is the best it was getting.

Only you could see him. He only wanted you to see him. Everybody else would run away screaming. You were lonely and friendless and he was too.

"I'm (Y/n)..." You finally smile, realizing he meant you no harm.

You wanted something in your lift to brighten it up. Mentally and physically. That's exactly what you got.

But not everything is perfect, nor does it stay like that. He has his imperfections, but you just wanted someone to understand.

Some excitement in your life?

Yeah, you just got it... along with the terror and guilt to follow.