Chapter 4, Revelation: two negatives

Chapter three, Revelation: two negatives

As the helicopter finally came to Eustatia I felt a sinking feeling inside of me. It was hard to say there is nothing I regret. 50 of the alphas had just boarded the helicopter to Necker. I doubted they’d ever be coming back.

I turned around to the crowds of wolves waiting in the treeline, their eyes shining bright in the darkness. It was their way of saying goodbye. And it took hell of a lot of courage not to cry.

The helicopter touched down, blowing the trees into madness and a few of the yellow eyes disappeared to find safety. Lucas took my hand and turned my attention away from the people I was leaving.

Phoenix clambered into the helicopter first, laying back and not acknowledging anything. Me and Lucas followed him into the machine. Lucas held out his hand for me to take but I ignored it. I avoided his eyes as the helicopter doors were shut. I just kept looking at the eyes. Unblinking and unmoving.

As I started to rise from the ground I tore my eyes away from them and focused on my trembling hands. I really, really didn’t want to do this. Part of me wished I had just died when the queen had wanted me to. It would’ve hurt a lot less.

No one in the helicopter spoke. Not the alpha directing the machine, not Phoenix, not Lucas and not me. As much as Phoenix had pulled himself away, he knew there were certain times not to speak.

I glanced up at him, in fear of becoming as reclusive as him. What if Lucas died? What if I became Phoenix?

I pulled my hands to my mouth and bit on my lip to stop crying. My face contorted. What if Lucas died?

It would be my fault. His blood would be on my hands, whether I was dead or alive.

“No, no. Lucas you can’t come.” I said, turning to him, my eyes glazed in tears. He tilted his head to the side and slid his hand onto my cheek. He seemed too calm for my liking.

“Cathy,” He smiled, and I grew even more confused. “We’re doing this together, remember?”

“I never said that.” I replied, not remembering anything.

“Oh, but I did.”

“But what if you die?”

“But what if you die?” He repeated to me, and I cast it away.

“I was meant to die a long time ago.”

“And how do you think that made me feel?” He replied, removing his hand fast and focusing on the alpha driving the helicopter through the skies. I was about to reply when the alpha sat in the front spoke.

“With all due respect, I don’t think talking about death is going to help us.” His voice sounded weird over the microphone. He turned in his front seat then and smiled. “Alpha of the Trurline pack, Mase, at your service.”

The wrinkles around his mouth told me he smiled too much, the grey lining his hair shone like silver. The bags under his eyes didn’t fit with his shining yellow eyes, and his immaculate teeth made his smile so much more convincing.

Lucas nodded, “Glad to have you on board.”

“I’m not.” I said quickly, my eyes going anywhere but him. “I’d rather no one was on board.” I didn’t want him to die. I didn’t want anyone to.

“But Cathy, you’re structure of the ship, and without a workforce, that ship isn’t going nowhere.” He turned his eyes back to the ocean as Necker appeared in distance. “You need us, like we need you.”

“But you don’t need to die.”

“No one mentioned death, except you Cathy. Have faith.” He repeated Vinny’s words and I gulped, looking out at my window again.