Chapter 20, Revelation: Cure... or... not?

To die for my people, to die for my pack. The pack I'd supposedly abandoned. They'd have received some kind of news by now. The leader of the Warvick pack joining the queen's lines? I'd be named a traitor. For all the times that Lucas rallied the wolves and the families, for all the times I'd stayed indoors and out of sight. For all the times I'd ignored the responsibility for all of this, they'd believe it. Lucas captured, Cathy defected and Necker invaded, it'd be like a tragedy.

But it wouldn't end like that. Lucas and my friends could return to Eustatia. I'd destroy the paperwork that connected the islands. Eustatia would be safe, and so would Lucas.

But what about the war? Lucas wouldn't be content with leaving it like it was. He wouldn't let it slide back into rule of the monarchy. The never-ending monarchy of the queen. I shut my eyes and pretended to not think about it. But it was a flaw in my plan. After everything was safe, and this whole situation was over, what about the next situation?

I wouldn't be around to help. I might be saving my pack once, but I could never save it again after that.

And another would be Lucas would only ever be allowed out of his captivity to die. I'd have to ask the queen to do this, I'd have to time it right so that he didn't actually get killed, but could I risk it?

I'd also have to make sure that the Warvick pack were in the same place as Lucas. It also all counted on me learning how to fly. And take off.

I rubbed my head and frowned. There's no way that this could all be successful.

"Are you alright, my dear?" My mother ironically asked as I planned my imminent escape from her long-nailed hands. "You've seemed distant lately. I hope Max isn't working you too hard." I half-heartedly laughed, but stared down at my hands. Today was not the day I complied with every little thing she said.

She looked concerned, but said nothing more as we walked around. I didn't have any training today because Max was busy doing something with some new trainees. Which made me frown even harder because the thought of new innocent werewolves joining the queen made me want to throw up my lunch.

"Well, I know exactly what will cheer you up." She increased her pace and turned to say "Follow me." I did as she said, but I was sulking like a teenage girl in a row with her mom. And that, we were. Except it all started when she tried to kill me, so I started a war. You know, the usual mom-daughter struggles of everyday life.

She lead me down the corridor of the main entrance, which I hadn't been in since I'd came here, but I'd dreamt about for days. My exit route. My salvation.

I didn't know what I was expecting, hell, I was even a bit scared she might've figured me out and was going to execute me right now, but I kept my shaking hands by my side.

But what I saw was something completely the opposite of what I had been expecting. At the end of the corridor, walking towards me and my mother was Ronan with his mate, Allie, trailing behind. But most of all, looking extremely pleased, Dian, the blonde girl I remember being overwhelmingly rude to me at the Queen's castle, strutted her way in.

"Ronan!" I gasped, a little unstable in my thoughts. What the hell was Ronan doing here? He wouldn't betray the Warvick pack, surely? He'd sworn to me that if I died he'd rule Eustatia.

"Cathy!" He opened his arms and ran to me, finally getting to me and wrapping his arms around my neck. It was a quick and sudden hug that lasted no more than a second, but I felt like it lasted too long. "I received news you'd joined the queen. Necker was invaded and-"

"And Necker was all I had, so I decided the queen had won over my island and my heart." It was incredibly cheesy but I couldn't think of anything else. My hands began to sweat. If Ronan gave up Eustatia right now none of what I'd done so far would've mattered. I saw him nod briefly.

"Such a shame, it was such a pretty island. The beaches, of course, not that horrible army base you set up. By the love of God, those buildings were ugly." He seemed nervous too now and it showed as he spoke too quickly. Luckily Dian interrupted what could've been the conversation to end all my efforts to save Eustatia.

"It's been so long, queen!" She ran into the queen's arms and hugged her like a child. I turned to Ronan and motioned towards Dian with my head. Would she give up Eustatia?

Ronan gave a small shake of his head and wrapped his arm around his mate. She smiled at me, but her smile was haunted. So was Ronan's. I suppose their journey to find a cure wasn't going to well.

I nodded to myself at this point, realising that the queen hadn't known about the search for a cure, either. She assumed Ronan would be with her forever. If she knew, she'd freak out. I watched as Dian and the queen chatted endlessly about stupid things like the unpractical location of her base and the cold.

If Ronan could trust Dian with his secret, I could trust her with mine. For now. She seemed to be at ease with the queen, and I didn't doubt that she'd love to stay here with her.

Her voice reminded me of the meal before the killings. She'd called me pest. She'd wanted me dead. So had the queen. No one knew then that my pack was on its way to storm the mansion, and no one knew then that all this would happen.

Thinking of the queen's old house made me gulp. 'We don't want to die, Cathy' The group of boys in the corner of the room had said to me. They had died. For me. For this. They had died for peace to rest on the shoulders of a blonde bitch who may or may not tell the queen all about the safeties of Eustatia.

I gulped more, clenched my fists harder and looked over to Ronan.

Brother, I could trust him. He'd fit into the plan easily, he could just leave, he had the freedom I'd wished for.

A few hours later and Ronan, Allie and I were sat down talking before dinner.

"What the hell is happening?" He finally asked once he knew we were out of earshot from everyone. I turned to open my mouth but couldn't find the words to explain what had happened since our last phone call.

"Necker Island still has paperwork concerning Eustatia." I said as quickly as possible, anxious of anyone that might walk past. "It is not safe while this truth remains. I'm working on the situation, but I must go and destroy the papers."

"How?" He seemed a little confused at why I was keeping the act up as loyal daughter.

"I'll just destroy them, Ronan." I snapped, not in the mood to explain I'd have to crash a plane and myself into the building. "Lucas is being kept in isolation. Some of our pack are here alike me. Don't grass them out." I hushed my voice, still worrying. One wrong word that the wrong ear hears and it's all over. This was all so terribly fragile and ugly.

Ronan leant back in his chair and thought over the information I'd given him.

"Tell her." Allie spoke up in an innocent voice that reminded me too much of a Disney princess. I looked curiously at the two.

Ronan turned to me, about to spill his own misfortunes with me. "We've found a cure." But he sounded flat and uninterested, almost scared by the idea.

"That's great!" I exclaimed, but Ronan hushed me and spoke up again.

"The only way anyone in this whole god-damned world knows how to kill a vampire is the toxins from a dying vampire. If I get bitten by a dying vampire, the previous vampire toxins inside of me will react and the two toxins should get rid of each other, leaving me with the human body I had before." He explained gravely. I stayed quiet, knowing exactly what this meant. "Cathy, the only other vampire known about on earth is my mother."