I follow them both silently through the dark alleys. I only lift my hand from under my hoodie pouch when I notice cameras on certain buildings. I'm somewhat happy yet sad at how easily I control my gift.

          My eyes trail to the ground. I hate being a fugitive. I can't go anywhere, or do anything publicly anymore. But I would hate living like I did before I found out I was a freak. I clench my fists, letting my nails dig into my palms.

Malcolm made the experience fun. I grind my teeth, trying to stay mad at him. But all my mind can think of is staring into his eyes and feeling loved for once. I briefly close my eyes as I feel a silent tear trail down my face. I furiously wipe it away.

          He doesn't deserve my tears. I try to convince myself to hate him, but another part of me believes he did it for a good cause. I shake my head. No.

Malcolm only did it to save his own skin. That's how he was since the beginning. I jerk to a stop as a body thuds to the ground.

           My snap my attention toward Mali, who is gagging for air. He withers on the ground, his dreads flying everywhere. Jade glances over at me in annoyance. "What's..." I trail off, realizing my hands are clenched into fists.

     I release them. Mali gasps as he stops moving. His hands go to his throat. From where I'm standing I can see his chest rise and fall as he sucks in big amounts of air. Jade walks over him, not glancing back. I jog up to him.

I kneel next to him. "Are you okay? Oh goodness I didn't know I was doing that. I'm so sorry! Sometimes I'm lost with my--"

"I'm fine. You're good." Mali interrupts me. His voice is still scratchy from the choking. I press a hand to my forehead. "I feel really bad." I murmur. He waves me off, pushing himself into a sitting position. "It's okay, I know you're still a rookie to all of this." He says.

         I push myself to my feet, offering a hand. He takes it without a thank you and turns away. I continue walking, wondering how all of these people are so cold. They all don't hold any emotion. I walk beside Mali, passing Jade.

I take my hands out of my hoodie pouch, not wanting anything similar to happen again. Mali massages his throat, not saying a word. The only sound is the constant thump of my backpack against my back.

          My thoughts begin to wonder off again as we turn another corner. My eyes trail down to the ground. The only thing in my mind is Malcolm. And to think he was actually in love with me. I curse quietly at myself. That's why he never said it.

I gave up my freedom, my reputation, and my sanity over that stupid program Harold was trying to build. I shake my head. I was wrong. I should have left as soon as I arrived from the streets. I cup my elbow, fighting the tears welling up in my eyes. Just as a small sniffle escapes my nose, Jade snaps her attention toward me.

          Mali as well, quirking an eyebrow at me. I furiously wipe my nose, keeping my eyes somewhere else even though I feel their eyes burning holes through my forehead. I extend my hand and let my fingertips run against the building walls.

Something I use to do so much as a kid. Sometimes the adoption center would take us to field trips around Virginia. I wince as I realize my fingertips have left a trail of indented lines along the walls. Small pieces of the concrete tumble to the sidewalk. I pull back my hand.

         I can't do anything now. My life is trapped by the bandages of crime. I bite back a tiny sob. I didn't even do anything and I'm a criminal. My hand rakes through my hair as I briefly close my eyes.