Chapter 31, Mates

Start from the beginning

Looking at Cody, his face was bright red; that wasn’t even what I would have considered that embarrassing!

‘I remember the good old days, we would make cupcakes together and decorate them with pretty pink icing and lots of sprinkles, just the way Cody liked them’.

Bursting out laughing, I couldn’t help myself and I think Helen understood as she made her own little polite chuckle at the topic.

‘Mum, that’s enough’!

Oh poor Cody was getting quite upset now.  Patting his hand to comfort him, I took one look at him, picturing him in some Dora the Explorer Apron as he sprinkles his cupcakes with pink icing.

‘Oh Cody, you were such a Mummy’s boy Cody; if only we could go back to then’.

Sucking in another breath as I tried to suppress my laughter; Cody had seemed to have enough, excusing himself as he slammed the front door, walking outside.

‘Well that was eventful, looks like it’s just you and me Vera’.

I think I could actually grow to like Helen from what she’d just done as I now brought my eyes back to her, her sweet smile never leaving her face.

‘You must miss your Mother Vera, I’m sure you would have had great moments together’.

Now I didn’t like where this conversation was going; talking about my Mother was treading on lose ground around me.

‘Yeah…… I guess; I didn’t really do much with her’.

Yawning, I looked through the window to see it was already turning sunset as the sun did its usual thing; my eyes responding accordingly.

‘My, dear, if you would like you may stay the night here; I’m sure Cody wouldn’t mind staying the night if you’re too tired to run back’?

Nodding, I guess that would be alright as long as Burt wasn’t watching me sleep, he was downright creepy sometimes.

Helen clapped her hands excited, getting to her feet as she walked into the kitchen; her mind seeming to go into Mother Mode as she began to look through the cupboards.

‘Well since you’re staying, what’d you say you help me cook dinner; what do you like to eat Vera’?

Looking at Helen a little shocked, my mind couldn’t process what was going on as I blurted out the first thing that came to mind.

‘Deer’

Helen looked at me a little disappointed as she opened her fridge to look at her meat selection; ‘unfortunately deer is something we don’t have often Vera, would you like to pick something else’?

Thinking, what was something normal that I could suggest…….

‘Chicken’

Nodding happily to herself, Helen pulled out three whole chickens, frozen still but already looking good enough to eat.

‘Three should be enough, I’m going to assume you eat just as much as Cody even though you don’t look it, so come and put an apron on and I’ll show you how to cook chicken’.

Helen now pulled an apron from what seemed like out of nowhere, holding out to me as my eyes scanned along the writing; the apron clearly being her husband’s the odd time he cooked.

The apron had the words ‘eat your heart out’ written across it, with a picture of some random wolf drawn oversized as his mouth was wide open, his jaws fitting easily over the deer that was standing there startled.