Chapter Fifteen: The Play

Start from the beginning

Simon laughed. "They are proud, wherever they are."

I nodded. "Simon's right. At last they're going to be happy, now that I'm fulfilling my dreams."

"Is this your costume?" she asked, pointing at my outfit. I was wearing a loose shirt and really small shorts, so it looked like I'm not wearing any shorts at all. "It's showing off a lot of skin. Plus, the blonde wig doesn't really suit you."

I rolled my eyes. "You should see Wendy and the girls who are playing the prostitutes," I told her. Then I patted my wig. "I know, right? I should just stay a black-haired girl. Blonde doesn't work for me."

"Josephine's coming, by the way, but she's going to be a little late," Simon informed me.

I suddenly felt butterflies in my stomach. That would mean Winston's coming with her. Now that I learned that he's going to come and see me sing, that made me ten times more nervous. 

"Are you okay? You seem a little pale," Gina noticed, narrowing her eyes. 

"I'm fine," I said dismissively. "Just nervous. That's normal, right?"

"Yeah," she said, nodding. "Well, I guess, I'd go now. I'll see you later, okay? And good luck, Erin!"

Simon gathered me into a tight hug. "Good luck, big sister. You're finally living in your dream."

I smiled at that. Trust Simon to say that.

*** 

"Your coming up next," Mrs. Parker said, grabbing my wrist and dragging me to the side of the stage.

My eyes went to the stage, where the students who were playing as the soldiers were singing The Morning of the Dragon. My heart suddenly started beating so fast and it almost kind of hurts. I looked at Mrs. Parker. "I think I can't do this," I muttered.

Mrs. Parker gave me an incredulous look. "What?! Erin, what the hell are you talking about?"

"I'm too nervous. This is going to be my first time..."

"Well, do you think it was easy for me when I first acted onstage?"

I blinked. "You were an actress?"

"A long time ago," she said, waving me away. "You can do this. I saw you act and you are unbelievable. Trust me, you're going to awesome."

The song ended and the lights closed, to give time changing the scenery. On the right side of the stage, Wendy was sitting all alone. On the left side, there was a bed and Howard was lying on it, pretending to be asleep. And might I just add that he was only wearing his boxers.

"Nice outfit," I whispered as I sat down on the edge of the bed.

"Oh shut up," he muttered.

I suppressed a smile. The lights went on, but only revealing Wendy, who started singing the starting song of I Still Believe

"How are you feeling?" Howard murmured.

"You know, we shouldn't be communicating at all."

"Well, I think I have a good reason to since it's your first time acting."

"I'm nervous, obviously."

"Just pretend that nobody is here," he said and I nodded.

Wendy's voice trailed off and the lights went on in my side of the stage. I gulped as I saw the audience. At least two hundred people were here. I quickly searched for Winston.

"Last night, I watched you sleeping, once more the nightmare came. I heard you cry out something, a word that sounded like... a name..." I continued singing, still searching for Winston. I saw Jennifer and Charlotte sitting down on the third row, as they promised. Gina and Simon on the first row, as well as the other family members of the students who have major roles. Hugh was on the farthest right, and I can feel his eyes on mine.