Violet and Nathan Part 58

Author Note: The Girl Who Fell Out of the Ocean is a first draft and is still raw, hope you enjoy. 

Bluebell House, Marxby Village- Present Day

"Where is she?" Cried Charlie his eyes desperately searching.

Charlie had fallen to the floor his whole body was trembling, May pressed her palm against his forehead, and he was clammy and freezing at the same time. She knelt beside her brother and tried to catch his eyes but his eyes had begun to roll to the back of his head, rolling to the back and then the front again.

He looked so desperately ill, should I call an ambulance? She panicked.

Charlie's eyes finally settled on May, he reached out and grabbed his sister, he seemed so small, so weak, her big brother was a writhing mess on the ground. Finally, his words came back to him and he started again, sounds only, mumblings about the girl he thought he'd seen in the house nonsense. Charlie said seeing her had made him feel this way, this seemingly never ending cold.

But May knew better, she knew the cold would end, in fact the colour was returning to Charlie's cheaks, he was starting to look pink again and his eyes were still.

"March, March, can you hear me?" March could hear his sister, and feel her as she shook him but he had nothing to say. For so long now he had been so close with Lavinia, there had been this connection between them but he never really acknowledged the fact that she was dead. She was flesh and blood to be sure, but Dolly had lived and died, it was a fact that he believed before anything else and now he had seen this woman. Not a ghost of flesh and bone like Lavinia but something else, something that was vapid and disappeared before his eyes, and there was this cold. Could the cold that had captivated him so suddenly have been the cold touch of death? 

Charlie shuddered at the thought.

He sat up.

Looked at May.

"Yes, I can hear you," he said.

"Oh thank god," she said.

"Stop pawing at me will you?" he said pushing May's hand away from his face.

"I'm fine," he said.

May pulled a face.

"I am, I fine," the words sounded like a lie on his lips. 

Charlie wasn't fine, he couldn't help but wonder if his own brush with death in the sea with Lavinia that day had woken something in him somehow, something that wouldn't be sent back to sleep so easily...

Marxby Manor- August 1918

Sarah spent more time at the manor these days.

The years since Neville had died had been both dark and light for Sarah, I saw the pain the loss of her husband had brought her every day but Sarah had been brought great joy as well. The joy came in the form of their son Nathan. Nathan was only months older than my own daughter Violet and the more time they played and grew together the more we could see a bond developing between the children.

The bond between our children helped our relationship blossom and helped me keep the promise I had made to Neville in France. Sarah and I began to get closer the same way Percy began and I began to drift not just from me but from the whole family.

 Percy had nothing to do with Violet or Nathan, she didn't look or speak to them she just swanned around the manor and just got on with her own life. Which part of me couldn't blame her for, who was I to stop her getting on with her life?

I had always brought so much drama to the family and things were just starting to settle down, there were moments when I would see Persephone out of the corner of my eye and I wanted to tell her she could talk to me, I was her big sister after all.

 But the worlds they fell from my lips like a whisper on the wind and in the end I would turn to Sarah, continue are conversation, or carrying on playing with my daughter and nephew and the sight of Percy, the sight of my younger sister that burned into the corner of my eyes I just let it fade, because as a family we had had enough trouble, enough sorrow and with Violet, Sarah and little Nathan I had finally found some resemblance of peace.

Sarah and I were sat in the chaise lounge with Nathan and Violet playing at our feet both our children had darks mops of hair, it made sense for Violet with both Will and I being dark but Sarah was fair and when she looked at her son she smiled down at him with love that was for both Nathan and his father whose dark hair he had inherited.

"Are you okay Dolly dearest?" Said Sarah.

I sighed heavily, no I wasn't alright.

"It's all this with Papa matching Fay, he said he plans to introduce her to someone at her eighteenth birthday party," I said.

Sarah brushed her blonde curls away from her eyes and looked at me silently.

"I just don't know how to stop him,"

Sarah moved closer to me, and clasped me hand tightly "Papa is a force alright but he is not an unstoppable one, you and I together we will find a way to stop this," said Sarah with a bright smile.

Her sunny eyes made me feel as if it wasn't the end of the world and that we really could change Fay's fate.

"She doesn't know Papa's plans for her yet?" Said Sarah.

I shook my head.

"Then Doll, we still have time, we can still change her fate, I know we can," said Sarah.

I beamed back her.

"We can can't we?" I cried. 

*************************

Hi guys, thanks for carrying on with The Girl Who Fell Out of the Ocean please vote and comment if you are enjoying this story :-)

Updates every Wednesday, Friday and Sunday (sorry this update is slightly late) 

Book 2 in the Ghostly Saga - The Man Who Jumped into the Sea Coming Soon!