The White Feather Part 31

Author Note: This is a first draft of The Girl Who Fell Out of The Ocean and is still a bit raw it will be going through the editing process when I have posted all the parts. I hope you enjoy!

There are many different kinds of love; romantic love is just the kind we talk about the most. As Charlie looked across from the sleeping Lavinia curled on his sofa he thought of all the people in his life he had loved and lost. 

His mother, his oldest sister June and now his wife, Lavinia had brought him back to life, she was part of him now and he never wanted to be without her. Sometimes when he slept, the soundest deepest sleeps her words would wake him, his heart pounding and a shake in his hands that he couldn't subside. 

"I'm dead Charlie," her voice would say. 

As Lavinia slept she looked so peaceful, so relaxed, but Charlie couldn't sleep, he couldn't relax, he kept revisiting the moment from yesterday, the moment when her body became consumed by a great body of water and she was taken by it, taken somewhere that he could never find her.

Charlie let out a sharp breath and Lavinia opened her eyes.

"Charlie stop staring at me you freak," she said sleepily sitting up on the sofa.

"Sorry," he said hanging his head slightly.

"Look do you want to just tell me what the problem is?" She said. 

Lavinia was already thinking about breakfast.

Charlie pushed his face into a smile "nothing, no problem, I was just thinking about breakfast," he said.

"Good," she said. Standing and Walking slowly towards him now you're starting to talk sense.

Charlie laughed big hearty laugh, his insides warmed when he saw how Lavinia's eyes glistened when he spoke about food.

Charlie wasn't much of a cook when he'd lived at home with all his siblings and his mother and her varying husbands, she'd been married six times, it had never him who did the cooking. His cooking skills were always on the very basic side of things, his sister May she was the one with the real skills. 

As he broke some eggs and put some toast under the grill his thoughts drifted again to May and her cooking, her face and all his family, the loudness, the chaos of being one of twelve he missed it. He'd run away from them, from his mother and June dying and he ran again when Alice died but that time he ran straight into a bottle. It was Lavinia who had brought him back into the land of the living, it was Lavinia who had made him smile again, it was Lavinia.

Lavinia.

Lavinia.

Lavinia.

As he placed the eggs in front of her and sat down smothering his own plate in ketchup, she poked her eggs briefly with a fork and said, "I want to go home."

"Oh right, sure, let me eat this and then I'll drive you," he said.

"No Charlie, I want to go home, back to Marxby Manor, will you come with me?"

Charlie put down his fork, his eggs never did make it to his mouth.

~

September 1915

I got out of bed with a start from the moment I opened my eyes, I immediately remembered what was happening that morning. The obituaries of the fallen soldiers were being published in our local paper, every time they were published I would run into town to get the paper. 

Papa would never let me have the car he said I was tempting fate but he didn't stop being leaving the Manor either. That morning Niall tried to stop me, as soon as I was awake I sensed he was awake too, his glassy grey eyes had been watching me as I slept. As I went to throw myself out of bed Niall grabbed my arm.