Like a Feather Part 67

Author Note: The Girl Who Fell Out of the Ocean is a first draft and is still raw :-)

Marxby Manor 3rd September- 1918

The moment Sarah was in possession of the gun Fay ran towards me, ran towards the danger.

I don't think she thought about what she was doing, she just followed her heart, followed her soul and it lead her right to the edge of a cliff where her sister was being dangled by her own husband. Fay was shaking, tears falling uncontrollably from her face she kept glancing back from me to Niall then back again.

 As I hung in his arms floppy and bleeding Niall barely seemed to notice it was as if he had entered some kind of trance-like state, shock perhaps but it kept him quiet and frozen on the edge of the cliff wind and spit from the sea blowing through us our hair whipped our faces and we became wild and bedraggled but still Niall did not move, his eyes did not flicker, he remained frozen.

I let my eyes drift away from Will's to Fay's, she looked so scared, I didn't want her to look like that I wanted her to feel strong and power, not afraid for me or for herself but now, now was the moment I had planned for, the moment I had spoken of with Tom, I had to ask Fay to do something for me. 

To ask something of a younger sibling is hard, but I cannot deny I needed Fay that day. I cannot deny I have always needed Fay, Jimmy and I we were bonded, bonded my something more powerful than life or love but in that moment on the edge of a cliff Jimmy was not with us, it was just Fay and I and in a moment of raw emotion, in the last moments of my life I had to ask my little sister a favour.

"Little Bit," I said blinking my tired eyes open.

Fay stepped forward slowly, trying not to wake Niall from his trance.

"Jimmy called me that," said Fay a strange sad smile appeared on her face.

"Take her Little Bit, take Violet and run," I said.

"I cannot leave you; I won't leave you, not here not like this," her green dress and golden curls thrashing about in wind. 

"I am going to die," my voice came out more of a whisper.

"I am begging you Little Bit please, I have spoken to Thomas, I have planned for this, in case of my death,"

"You what?" Fay was weeping but at the same time she was furious, if the situation were different I think we would be having a pretty serious row right now," Fay took a step closer.

"What happens when I am gone? Is my daughter to fall back into the hands of my husband or Papa? Please Fay, I can't let that happen you have to help me, go find Thomas he knows what to do," I cried but it was still  a faint coughing whispering.

Fay looked at me with hard blue eyes, for the first time, I think she really took in the situation she came so close that if Niall was to come out of his trance he could have grabbed her too, but instead she squeezed my hand tightly and kissed it.

"Alright, we will take her, run with her," said Fay.

I let out a large breath of relief.

As Fay said those immortal words Niall, who still appeared to be in his trance like state let go of my body, the last thing I ever saw was my sister screaming and running to the edge as I fell from Niall's arms over the cliff's edge into the rocky water below. I did not die when I reached the ocean, but I was too weak to swim and save myself from drowning, so I drowned like a feather in the waves, slowly and in pain until all was dark and I was surrounded by darkness, and then nothing. Nothing. Nothing...

~

When Dolly was thrown off the cliff by Niall the world descended into chaos.

Fay ran.

She knew her sister was dead, she also knew she had made her a promise in the last moments of her life, a promise she intended to keep. These were also the last moments of Will's life his face and body pale from the lack of blood in his body he could barely speak let alone move. But as Fay ran past him he uttered one important word.

"Key," he whispered. The key to Violet's room was still hanging around his neck where he had locked her in after running after Dolly, luckily Fay recognised the key pulled it hard from round his neck and ran from the scene she only was thinking of one thing find Tom, he knows Dolly's plan, and find Tom she did. As Will felt the key string snap from around his neck, he let go of life, knowing his daughter would be in good, safe hands with her aunt.

As Fay ran from the scene Sarah knew that Dolly once again had told her favourite sister something in her dying moments something she would never be privy so, something she would never know. The emotion got too much, the death, the murder, Niall still standing frozen on the cliffs edge... She thought about shooting Percy right there...

"I never thought he'd kill her," Percy cried.

Sarah wasn't really listening, everything was up to her now, the curse of being the eldest sister, at the end of the day everything really does rest on your shoulders there is no one for you to turn to, to look at, to hold your hand. Sarah wanted to shoot Percy in the head let her bleed on the ground like she was nothing like she meant nothing to anyone but she didn't.

Instead she shot the gun in the air three times and finally the party stopped and her Mother, Father and the guests they ran from the Manor over the grass and towards them on the cliffs edge shocked by what they were witnessing.

No Fay, no Thomas, Sarah thought as the party stopped and came to her rescue, they really had gone and they had taken Violet with them, and in that moment she really believed she would never see any of them again but when it came to Fay this was, in fact true.

~

Charlie's Cottage - Present Day

Charlie's phone beeped.

He stared at the video message his body shaking almost convulsing as he listened to and watched the video of Lavinia's final story, how Dolly died. He wanted to weep, instead he just looked at his phone for a moment then in a snap decision knew he had to go, he had to find Lavinia. This message it meant something and where ever she was, whatever she was doing right now it wasn't good, he had to be there.

"From the red head I take it," said May.

Charlie couldn't talk he was shaking, then a text came up on his phone from Andy Gregory "Have you seen Lavinia?" This was the last straw; Charlie put on his coat and started looking for his keys.

"Whatever it is, I'll drive," said May.

Charlie let out a breath.

"Lavinia's missing," he said.

May nodded as if it was totally normal for people to just go missing.

"And where do you think she would go?" She said looking at him with her strong serious eyes.

"The Manor," said Charlie.

"I think she'd go back to Marxby Manor,"

Charlie hadn't moved but he sounded out of breath, May put her hand on his shoulder in an attempt to reassure him.

"Okay then, we are closer to Marxby than she is, all we have to do is go  to the Manor and wait for to show up," May shrugged as if it was that simple.

Charlie nodded it was the best plan they had, it was either this or no plan at all. 

Weird things had happened with Lavinia since they'd met, but this time felt different, this time he felt truly afraid, almost as if this was the end of something. Dismissing the thought from his mind he opened the front door for May and they walked out together shutting it behind them with a slam.

Hi guys I hope you enjoyed the new chapter! Please comment and vote thank you :-)