Ch.6 - Dreamless Nights and a Horrific Sight

I woke up to the sound of music, the melodic notes of the cello and piano blending together beautifully as they played “Rolling in the Deep”. I stayed in bed for a few seconds, enjoying the melodic notes play. Cello and piano sounded fantastic together.

 Since it was just a ringtone, the song played for a certain amount of time, and went back to the beginning once it was over. I sighed, my musical moment was over. I sat up, grabbed my phone from under my pillow and proceeded to sliding the alarm off on my phone. I rubbed my eyes trying to remember what I dreamed last night.

Did I even dream anything…?

I exhaled a gush of air, no I didn’t. Of course, another dreamless night, that’s…the 22th night already. Why does this keep happening? I thought I was fine…it’s been two years.

I should be over it...or at least stop having the pang in my heart. Or at least stop having these dreamless nights and sad moments.

Will I ever be the same again?

“Mhmm…”

 My eyes slid over to Avery’s bed just in time to see her rolling over in her bed. Making little muttering noises, I hoped the music didn’t wake her up…oh who am I kidding. There could be a World War III erupting right outside our door and she still wouldn’t wake up.

            I stood up and stretched out my limbs. I always curled up in my bed like a shrimp, which causes some pretty stiff muscles.

I’m alright…right?

I continued stretching, moving my arms while tiptoeing over to the window on the left side of my bed. I stretched a couple more times before pulling back the white curtains and staring outside. It was six in the morning, my favorite time of the day.

            It’s my favorite time of the day because it was just so beautiful outside. The sky was the lightest of blue’s tainted with just a bit of grey, and the tiniest smidge of orange on the horizon as the sun rose, plus it was quiet. Just the beauty of the rising sun, peace, serenity, and tranquility, only the sound of the winter wind as it blew across campus. The bare trees gave a final finishing touch to the perfect Massachusetts winter scene. Such a thing that only lasted an hour, one blissful hour before the students began to wake up and hurry to their classes. Conversation bustling throughout the university, spilled coffee on the sidewalks, and the laughter carried out by the wind.

            I smiled and turned around, leaving the curtains opened. I headed over to the closet Avery and I shared. It was a decent size; after all, this was just a dorm. I pursed my lips, trying to find what I was looking for. My sports tank top and my running shorts; oh, and I’m going to need that sweater…

            I pulled out what I was looking for and quickly got dressed. I slid on my Nike running shoes after I was done. It’s not like Avery was going to wake up anytime soon, her classes started at 10, and she treasured her sleep.

            Once I finished dressing I sighed in content, these clothes were so comfortable…wait, where did I get these? I frowned; Adeline and Lexi always messed around with my wardrobe. So it was probably some expensive brand or whatever. I never really cared about fashion, well; maybe to social events mom and dad take us to. But those are mandatory to look good. Overall, I just needed to not look like a sleaze, or like a hobo. That’s pretty much it.

            I headed into the bathroom to brush my teeth; I have the worst morning breath. I looked at myself in the mirror.

            I frowned at myself, the reflection looking back at me looked…well, sad. Her blue eyes looked icy, brown hair hanging limply in her ponytail, and her face looked tired. Was this how I always looked now?