"Are you...you're James  Mitchell's daughter right?" He asks, tilting his head to the side.

"Yes. Have we meet before?" I ask, puzzled as I straighten my blue shirt beneath my coat.

"No. I'm an old friend of your dad's. We used to work together a few years ago," He replies, taking one of his hands out of his pockets, extending it out towards me.

"I'm Tobias."

"Ryder." I say while shaking his hand, briefly. "I don't mean to be rude but I have to go."

"I will give your salutations to my father." I add, politely.

"No problem. Have a nice day." He nods, giving me a small smile and with that I continue on my way to my car.

Unlocking the front door to my dad's house, I step inside and shut the door behind me.

"James is that you? I thought you had to work in late." I hear Martha speak. Glancing up, I see her stepping out from the living room, dressed in a white shirt and light wash jeans.

"Oh Ryder, it's you." She smiles as soon as she sees me, walking over with wide opened arms.

"Hey." I smile hugging her back before she pulled away, and strangely I wish she would have hugged me longer.

Come on Ryder. Your mom didn't want you? Why would she?

"Sorry to bother you but I came to get the key to our old house." I mutter, scratching the side of my nose. "You know the one dad and I used to live in."

"Oh, yes. Your father called to tell me." She nods in understanding. "It's up in his study on his desk. I can go get if for you and-"

"No, it's alright. I can get it." I smile.

"Okay, how about I make you something to eat then?"

"Okay." I nod. "If you don't mind."

"Nonsense. I will cook something up for you." She says reaching out, pushing my hair behind my ear before her hand cupped the side of my face, her thumb brushing over my cheek before pulling her hand away.

"Thanks." I smile, looking down at her sweet expression and for a long time, being here feels like home.

Making my way up the stairs, I shove my keys into the back pocket of my jeans and head towards my dad's study. I didn't have to walk that far, considering it was the first door on the left.

Stepping inside I gaze at the vast room; the left wall was lined with book shelfs, while the other was filled with family photos displayed in black frames. The back wall was filled with large windows, giving a glimpse towards the street of the house. A large maple colored wooden desk sat facing the door with a leather computer chair shoved behind. The desk was a bit messy, stacked with a few piles of files near the apple desktop computer.

Walking over, I avoid the two boxes filled with more case files at the side of the desk and scan around for the key. Quickly, I spot the silver key resting on the desk mat, intrigued that it resembled a more ancient styled one. The key looked a bit rusty, the grip was small and round and ran straight until another small piece stuck downward cut in a specific way to fit the prongs in the lock.