CHAPTER 7 - New Beginnings

Start from the beginning

"Chase, always fashionably late. Ahhh, Valerie always so stunning. Hope you two have fun tonight!" His dad approached and gave a few words. "So when should we tell them?" Valerie asked. "I'm guessing my dad already knows. Let's go over to them." Chase said, and so the two of them approached Charles and Cassidy (his mom and dad).

"Mom, Dad, this is Valerie Atkins the girl I've been seeing." Chase said. "Ah! My suspicions were correct indeed." Charles joked. "It's pleasure to meet you Mrs. Everett." Valerie said. "You too. Uhm, Chase I'd like to speak to you in private." Cassidy said. "Sure, mom. Val, I'll be right back, okay?" Chase said. Valerie nodded and continued on mingling with her colleagues.

As Cassidy and Chase make their way to a quieter place, near the railings, they start to talk. "Sweetie, I didn't know you had a girlfriend." His mom opened the topic. "Yeah, we've been secretly dating for a few months so as to not hinder our work." Chase replied. "I thought you and Allie had something going on?" She said.

Chase sarcastically laughs, "I thought I did, but to my surprise I was too late, mother." He said. "I see. It seems as though you're happy but not truly. That girl seems nice but I was rooting for Allie, my dear. But nevertheless you chose Valerie, and no matter what, your my son and I support you." She said. Chase was silent for a while; he looked at Valerie and took in the words his mom had told him.

He thought about it hard and finally replied, "Thank you mom. That means a lot." He said. "I better go join your father; you know how he gets when he's lonely at a party." she replied. "Sure, mom." He said and smiled and continued to look into the skyline.

Then suddenly, John Holland, his private investigator called him. "John, it took you a couple of months to get back to me. This better be good." Chase said. "I'm sorry I took so long. I made sure I didn't miss anything." John replied. "Okay spill the details." Chase said.

"Allison Paige Bennett has been known to have evaded her taxes dating back to 2011. She has a debt of 560,000 US Dollars." John said. "What?!" Chase was shocked. John went on, "She has a brother living in London and she's providing for his tuition and living situation. Her mother had leukemia and died." John added. "I already know that. What else?" Chase asked.

"Her biological and deadbeat father is actually living in Florida who is quite successful there as an engineer. But he changed his name from Lucas Oscar Bennett to John Jacob Anderson. He has a new wife now and a young daughter and son. It took me a while to find him that's why I went radio silent on you." John said.

Chase's eyes widen and he was speechless, he couldn't say anything.

"Oh and your mother struck a deal with her. Your mother dined at one of the restaurants she worked in. She talked to her about her food and really liked her. She said she'd help Allie make her name in the food industry and gave her a great recommendation. That's how she got the papers signed and was permitted to live with you. Let's just say, she thought you could change her." John informed.

"My mother?!" He asked. "Yes." John answered. "Do you still want me to get information?" John asked. "Yes. This time, I want you to show me everything you've found out." Chase said angrily and then dropped the call.

Then he heard a familiar voice approaching him. "You look happy." She said. He turned around and smiled forcefully. "I am happy, Carls." He lied. She smiled and gave him a hug. He took a good long look of his sister and said, "You look stunning as always."

The two of them laughed, drank some champagne and just had a good time. "So, you and Valerie, huh?" She said. "Yeah, what do you think? She's pretty amazing, right?" He gushed. "Yeah you say that. Dad told me she's cool." She said. "Really? Dad told you she's cool? She is, and I like her a lot." He said. "Yeah?" She asked. "Yeah." He assured and then smiles. "What about Allie?" She asked. "What about her?" He said. "She's here." She said.