Aesthetic ~ 5

Aesthetic ll 5

Afrika and Roxxanne sit atop the chairs at the counter at the ice cream shop a couple miles down from their house. Their conversation was light and giddie, filled with bright smiles and dimpled cheeks. Roxxanne was dipping her spoon into her vanilla sundae while she herself was snacking on a chocolate float, mixed with strawberries and nuts. It was incredibly thick and creamy, filling her stomach right up and curving her hunger pain. She looks up at the ceiling absently, thinking about the circumstances that has fallen before her. This hasn't necessarily been her dream and it was never something she'd ever thought about doing but now that it was an opportunity, she was ecstatic about the whole process.

Roxxanne licks the corner of her lip, smiling brightly at her. "You're amazing to be doing this." She tells her, using a napkin to wipe her mouth off.

Afrika cheeses absently, teeth flashing. She was riding on a wave of happiness. "I'm in shock right now. I can't comprehend anything."

Roxxanne laughs loudly at her response. "What? You should be, this is major."

She shakes her head, blinking rapidly. Her heartbeat was pounding. "I'm serious Rox. It's like--who am I? Am i person? Do i actually live and breathe? Am i really breathing right now?"

Roxxanne snorts, choking on her ice cream. She takes a moment to get her voice back. " Girl, you are a mess--breathe in and out because this is really happening. In this lifetime."

She dips her spoon into her ice cream and takes a bite, smiling from ear to ear. This feeling was so amazing to her. Roxxanne looks behind her and opens her mouth, nodding her head.

"Hey look, we know him. John I think? Isn't that him?"

She glances behind her to see that it was indeed Jonathan and he was just now walking into the diner, looking around for a place to sit.

"Yeah, we do. Jonathan." She says unenthusiastically. Roxxanne snaps her fingers.

"Right, I forgot. Hey Jonathan! Over here!" She calls across the room, making her frown. Afrika pops her eyes out to Roxxanne, silently questioning her as she takes another bite of her ice cream.

"What, he looks lonely." Roxxane whispers as steps sounds behind her.

"Hey, Roxxanne right?" Jonathan's guttural voice asks, starting the conversation.

"Yes, you remembered!" Roxxanne exclaims with excitement. She rolls her eyes at her tone.

"And..Mae?" At the question, Afrika turns around on the stool and looks at Jonathan, brows rising.

"Excuse me?" She questions.

Jonathan pulls up his baggy pants and smiles at her in confusion. "That is your name I take it?" he asks.

She shakes her head, turning back to her dessert. "No, that's my middle name." She says.

There's a small pause and she glances at Roxxanne, seeing the 'be polite' look on her face. She huffs under breath, turning her eyes away.

"What is your first name then?" Jonathan asks after a beat. She turns to look at him, saying nothing to which Roxxanne tries to cover the awkwardness by coughing.

"Here you go brotha', take a seat and don't mind her. She's a bit rude."

Afrika shakes her head, looking up at the ceiling. Maybe she was rude but Jonathan was a stranger--a weird one at that.

"So we're just out celebrating because my girl here auditioned to be apart of Michael Jackson's background dancers and she made it!" Roxxanne tells him excitedly. Her heart jumps a beat at hearing his name but she still manages to shoot her a look for telling her business.