#9 - Death Wish

▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ ░ ▓ ░ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁

╰☆☆Chapter Nine☆☆╮

╰☆☆Death Wish☆☆╮

He's hugging me.

Admit you like the feeling of his arms around you. My inner voice spoke in a taunting tone. It did have a point. Wait, no, it didn't! I dislike being this close to him. So, with little effort, I pushed Steve away and took several steps, putting distance between us. My body acted before my mind could catch up.

"What the heck was that, Steve?" Standing near my bed, I stared over at him in disbelief.

Why would he do that when he cursed me? Does he think everything is fine now that Mr Spellbinder has spoken to us? Because it's far from fine. I may admit he's kinda handsome, but there is no way in hell I'd ever say I like him romantically.

With no response, the wizard ran a hand through his hair and went and laid down on his bed, leaving me very confused and somewhat angry.

I chose to not press the subject any further. Seeing that Steve lay with his back facing me, I changed into my pyjamas and went to sleep.

That night, or day since it doesn't actually get dark, whatever they call it here, I dreamt of murdering Steve's parents. I, however, couldn't make sense of what I saw. There were flashes of images before I arrived at his house. I remember seeing my parents talking to a hooded fella in my loungeroom, and then the next thing I noticed, I was in Steve's house, and his parents were on the floor, pools of blood around their necks.

"Stop moaning in your sleep," a voice from the darkness told me. "You sound like you're having a dirty dream, which is disgusting."

My eyelids instantly flung open upon hearing the voice. I saw Steve opening the curtains, allowing light rays to blind me. "I wasn't having a sex dream."

"Could've fooled me," Steve said, buttoning up his black leather jacket. "We're going to be late because of you."

Rubbing my eyes, I flung the blanket off me. "Huh?"

"It's almost half 5. We're supposed to meet in the courtyard by now."

"Half 5? In the afternoon? Geez, I slept the day away," I grumbled, walking over to our shared wooden wardrobe. I found only black leather jackets, trousers, and knee-high boots when I opened the doors. "What is this?"

"This is what we all wear, apparently," he motioned to his clothes. "Oh, and it isn't afternoon, it's morning. Here I was thinking vampires love the night."

I ignored his last part simply because it's untrue. "You gonna stand there and watch me change?"

"I'd rather burn in hell," and with that, he was gone. Steve slammed our door closed, causing me to laugh.

Moments later, I was dressed and stepped out of our room to find Steve and Buck waiting outside. Flicking my hair to the side, I eyed both men.

"Morning, lovely," Buck flashed me a smile with his perfect teeth. "Sleep well?"

I attempted to answer, but Steve moved to stand between me and the faun. "Let's go," he completely ignored Buck.

"Lead the way," to be completely honest, I have no idea where this courtyard is. Or the dome, for that matter. Rubbing the back of his neck, a puzzled emotion swept across Steve's face. I laughed. "You don't know where to go, do you?"

"Lucky for you both, I do." Buck pushed past Steve, bumping into his shoulder. "Follow me." And so we did. Although, I'm confident Steve wanted to murder Buck.

We gained about six other people along the way through the black-thorn wing. Buck and some girl I hadn't seen before led the group outside. As we continued to walk, I couldn't help but notice the close proximity of Steve. For some unknown reason, he walked a few feet before me.

Stepping outside, we walked around the side of the black-thorn wing until we reached a large stone archway connecting it to another building. Discovering the courtyard empty, Buck led us to a path that went downwards into a tunnel that seemed to go underground. There were no steps; the ground was sloped down, and lights hanging from the ceiling illuminated the creepy hallway. At the bottom, the floor levelled out, and we stopped at two large wooden doors.

"We're here," the girl beside Buck said as she tied her red hair into a high ponytail. "Well, black-thorns, who is ready to kick some booty?"

"Damn straight! We better win this time." Someone spoke from behind me. "I'm tired of always coming last."

This sparked my curiosity; however, Buck pushed the doors open before I could question why we always came last and at what?

The doors opened inwards with a loud squeak; stepping through them, I became confused. "What is this place?" I asked, staring around the large oval-shaped room.

"This, Miss Bloodvial, is the dome. And I would like to know why the black-thorns are, once again, late?" I knew the voice belonged to none other than our Professor Moonshadow. "Well? I'm waiting for an answer."

Glancing to my right, I noticed Professor Moonshadow and a large group of inmates, classmates, whatever you wanna refer to them as, standing near the now-closed doors. They all wore the exact same black outfit as us.

"Sorry, ma'am," Buck strangely bowed. "We have newcomers; you know how they are with sightseeing." When his eyes landed on me, he grinned.

I rolled my eyes.

Idiot, I don't do sightseeing. And I dislike people placing the blame on me.

"Don't let it happen again," Professor Moonshadow pinched the bridge of her nose. "We have a lot of training to do today, and-"

"With all due respect," Steve suddenly spoke up, cutting her off mid-sentence. Now, I'm not too sure, but does he have a death wish? "You are our Professor of spells and potions, so theoretically, training is not your area of expertise."

Yep. Steve has a death wish.

Silence reigned.

Professor Moonshadow stepped towards our group, her almost-black eyes darkening further if possible. "How lovely of you; it seems Mr Charmstar has offered for the black-thorns to go first."

"Are you stupid?" Buck whispered angrily to Steve. "You've just signed our death warrants."

Glancing around our group, I noticed that all eyes were on Steve; now, when I say that, I mean they wanted to kill him.

I grinned. "We get to go first, aye? Death warrants sound fun. Oh, how I love a challenge." All eyes were now on me. "Whatever you're going to throw at us, please make it interesting and not boring."

So...

Maybe I have a death wish.