#4 - Did you know?

▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ ░ ▓ ░ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁

╰☆☆ Chapter Four ☆☆╮

╰☆☆ Did you know? ☆☆╮

Over the next few hours, I didn't pay attention to Professor Moonshadow or our fellow inmates, classmates, cellmates, or whatever you want to call them. My thoughts dwelled upon the fact this facility is the last line of defence against creatures even the Magic Council cannot defeat.

I sat on the bed in my cell, which had been assigned to me. This spacious area seemed more like a luxurious hotel room than a prison cell.

"Move," Steve grumbled, standing in front of me. "That's my bed."

Ah yes, did I forget to mention Steve and I were both assigned this room?

Lucky me.

"How old are you? Ten? Who gives a fuck where you sleep? A bed is a bed." Purposely, I fell backwards, my body bouncing a few times as I hit the soft mattress below.

"Don't vampires burn in direct sunlight?" He inquired, extending his arm towards the window next to my bed.

I smirked at him. "Only in movies; besides, I'm a hybrid, remember? I'm not a full breed."

Turning on his heels, Steve walked to the bed opposite mine and placed a bag on it. "Bitch."

"Witch, actually," I correct him. "Well, half."

Even if there was a full vampire here, I'm confident these dampeners would prevent us from burning.

I fiddled with the dampener around my wrist. It wasn't tightly secured, yet it couldn't be removed. I caught Steve watching my every action in the corner of my eye.

Creepy bastard.

"Do you mind?" Sitting up, I looked his way as our eyes locked. I swear I saw his darken. "What?"

"I hate you," he said with no emotion. "One day, I'll avenge my parent's murder, I promise you, Elysia."

"Oh yay, I'm so scared. A wizard is threatening me." Placing my hand over my heart, I smiled. "Hate to break it to you, babe, but even a wizard can't kill me."

Tilting his head every so slightly, he returned my smile. "Who said anything about killing you?"

What's this guy's problem? Well, you did sort of murder his parents. Thanks for reminding me.

The question is, though, did I really murder them? The evidence is clear; however, I can't recall how I got to the Charmstar's residence that day. We Bloodvails despise that family. I wouldn't go near them with a ten-foot pole, and now I'm being forced to share a room with one.

Lucky me.

"I didn't kill them,"

Wait what? Why the fuck did I say that?

"Wanna say that again?" Steve laughed, now standing to his feet.

Blinking, I also stood. "I don't remember killing your parents." In my defence, it's true. I don't. "Steve, I can't remember anything before—"

"Before you drank them dry?" He laughed again. "You're a pathetic liar, typical of a Bloodvial."

"What purpose would I have for breaking our law? Why would I feed from your parents? I don't understand any of this!"

"Because you're a monster, a failed vampire, a failed witch. Both communities don't want you. You are an outcast; your entire family is."

He had a point.

What answer could I possibly give? The Royal vampires decreed all Bloodvial members are rejects. The Elder witches wouldn't even allow my mother, a full-breed witch, into any coven because she married a vampire.

Steve studied my face, waiting for an answer.

So I did the only thing I could.

"You're right," I told him. "I am an outcast, and you know what? I wouldn't change it for the world."

"Not just an outcast, you're a murderer too. I will—"

Our door suddenly swung open, revealing Mr Spellbinder himself.

"Good to see you two are getting along. Now, would you please follow me, Miss Bloodvial?" Mr Spellbinder gave Steve a glare. "In the future, Mr Charmstar, refrain from threatening your roommate, or I shall punish you."

"What? I wasn't—"

"I am the Headmaster of Camp Half-breed, I hear everything within these walls."

I don't know if I find that a little creepy? Do you? If he hears everything, does that include when we relieve ourselves in the toilet?

Ugh, that question is better left unanswered, I think.

Ignoring the death look from Steve, I exited the room and waited in the wide corridor. Leaning against the wall, covered in black flowers, I sighed. After a few minutes, the Headmaster closed the door behind him and joined me in the hallway.

"Where are we going?" I questioned.

Do you know the answer I got?

Silence.

Utter silence.

A cold breeze engulfed my body, causing me to shiver as Mr Spellbinder motioned for me to follow him. I pulled my dark blue coat I had changed into earlier around me tighter.

I don't know how many corridors we went down nor how many corners we turned. What I did find out is that this place is a maze. Every hallway is identical. From the wooden floors to the walls with black flowers carved into them and bat-shaped lights hanging from the roof.

You could easily get lost here.

Or maybe that was the point.

Occasionally, we passed a sign, not very large or informative, just an arrow with a number.

We came to a stop at two large purple doors. Mr Spellbinder waved his hand, which opened them. Upon entering a large room resembling a library, warm air surrounded me as the doors closed.

Turning on his heels, Mr Spellbinder adjusted his purple robe. One thing is for sure: this man was curved by angels.

No, evil Elysia.

Look away from him.

Ah, his boots are sparkling.

"Why did you bring me here?" I spoke, keeping my eyes on his fascinating boots.

This time, I received an answer. Not one I was expecting.

"Because, Miss Bloodvial, I believe you did not murder the Charmstars."