THE KINDEST THING TO DO

"I hope someday you can
Find someway to understand,
I'm only doing this for you.

I don't really wanna go.
But deep in my heart I know
This is the kindest thing to do....

Oh, I could say that
I'll be all you need.
But that would be lie.

I know I'd only hurt you
I know I'd only make you cry.

I'm not the one you're needing.

I love you, goodbye." - Celine Dion
----------------------------------------------------------

" WHAT!!!!!!!"

" From your response I get that you heard me right."

"But.... but why? Why are you doing this to her, to yourself?"

"If you are done asking irrelevant questions, then I suggest that you go back to your work."

"No, I am not done. Just give me one good reason. I am the Vice President of the company. I have the right to ask you this question."

Until now I was facing the glass window of my office. But the above statement made me look at my above mentioned Vice President Leonard Beards. He was standing almost in a warrior stance.

Gazing coolly at his clenched fist and determined jawline, I arched one eye brow, "Indeed? "

"Oh yes! Indeed.", he answered without cowering a bit.

"And why does the transfer of a mere secretary calls for such stand to show your power in the company, Mr. Vice President? ", I hissed.

"You and I both know that she is more than just 'a mere secretary '. You have refused to say or even acknowledge anything about what happened between the two of you that night.", he raised one hand to stop me from interrupting, "No, let me finish. You've been behaving differently from that moment when you brought her unconscious form to the hospital. But those are your personal matters and despite being your closest friend, I have respected your wish for privacy, until now. Now I have to voice my opinion when you're going to treat an employee differently just because you're afraid to face her for YOUR OWN PERSONAL REASON!", he almost shouted at the end.

And now he successfully hit a nerve. If not for my legendary self control, blows and punches would have been exchanged by this point.

I took a deep breath and looked directly into his eyes, " You, of all people, Leonard, should know that I never put my personal problems before the well being of this company and its employees."

He didn't answer.

"I am doing it for her safety. Being the nosy woman, she will definitely entangle herself again in that project, if she is to work here under me. There is nothing.personal.about.this." I uttered the last few words slowly and clearly.

Leonard stared at me for several moments before sighing, "Tell her the decision yourself. I refuse to be the one to break the news."

With that he left my office.

***********************************
I was standing on my balcony again at the dead of the chilly night. I was contemplating my decision.

Yes, I was going to transfer her to another office, under another employer. It was the right thing to do. She had already been injured so much because of me. If she were to be in that project, the consequences would be dire. It was best that she should be far away from all of it, far away from me.