The List

SABAW NA FICTION. PAGPASENSYAHAN NYO NA PO. WEEKEND EH. WALA AKO SA KATINUANG PAGIISIP 😭

Unbeta'ed and not proofread as always.

//

"Happy Golden Anniversary, Mahal."

She smiled, her eyes still full of love after all these years. He sat beside her on her hospital bed and gave her forehead a sweet, soft kiss.

"Talaga naman. May pabulaklak pa," she commented as she accepted the box of yellow carnations from him. "Salamat, mahal. Happy golden anniversary din. Sorry wala akong gift. Nakalimutan kong utusan yung mga anak natin na bumili for me, eh."

"Ano ka ba, Menggay ko? Ok lang. Ikaw lang, sapat na."

"Hanggang ngayon pumipick-up line ka pa rin? Tagal na nating mag-asawa, uy!"

"Doesn't mean I cannot court you over and over again, love. Hanggang sa kabilang buhay, mahal - magiging ganito pa rin ako sayo."

"Cheesy mo pa rin talaga, Faulkerson."

He simply laughed at her statement, giving her another kiss, this time on her cheek.

They were quiet for a while, basking in the company of each other - their silence, a comfortable one. They had been together for years now and despite her body being ridden with sickness at the age of 75, she was thankful that her husband had stuck it out with her throughout the last years. Now, she was totally happy and content - with their kids and grandkids, with her family, with him.

"Mahal, can you help me up?"

"Oh, bakit? Mahal - doctors said kelangan mo lang magpahinga," he said, frowning a bit even as he helped her sit up.

"I'm always lying down here. Sitting up for a little while would not kill me. Chill ka lang."

He chuckled and shook his head. "Hanggang ngayon, makulit ka pa rin."

"Pero mahal mo."

"Syempre naman," he answered, smiling as he sat closer to her on her bed. "Hindi magbabago yun. Ikaw pa -- teka, ano 'to?"

She handed him a piece of paper, containing a list. It was a short list with only five things in it.

"My bucket list."

"Mahal..."

"RJ - I'm dying. You and I both know that. I'm not getting any younger. Plus the cancer has already spread sa buong katawan ko. Any time now - pwede akong malagutan ng hininga."

"Menggay - please don't say that."

She shrugged. "It's true though. I've lived a very fruitful and happy life. And it's all thanks to you. That bucket list of mine? Lahat naman yan natupad na eh. Nagawa na natin."

He silently went through her list, and when he got to her last one - he looked up, his eyes suddenly shining with unshed tears.

"Pwera yung isa," she quietly said, smiling as she took his hand in hers and tried to grip it with as much might as she could. "That last one - I'd like to do it before I go. And I'd like to do it as soon as possible. Will you allow it? Please?"

This time, his tears finally cascaded down his cheeks, unchecked. He was smiling though as he slowly leaned in and gave her the sweetest kiss possible on her lips.

"Of course, mahal. Para sayo. Kahit ano pa. Gagawin natin. Basta para sayo."

1. See Coldplay perform live
2. Get married
3. Have kids
4. Live by the sea
5. Be lost. Anywhere. With you.