Stopover

Day 18 of AMACon Drabbles for Oikos.

I enjoyed writing this for real. 😬 But please don't hate me 😅

FICTION OK? OK.

Unbeta'ed and not proofread as always.

//

"Love, can you also grab me some M&Ms? Bayaran ko na 'to sa counter."

RJ called through the store towards Maine who was still browsing some magazines as he walked towards the cashier counter.

They were on a road trip to Batangas, going to the rest house that RJ bought for them. Currently, they made a stopover in a nondescript town with a small convenience store to gas up and get some snacks. They were probably a couple of hours or so away from the rest house but wanted to stretch their legs at Maine's suggestion.

"Kuya, may idadagdag pa ako dito ha?" RJ said as he placed the chips and soda he got on the counter. He looked up when the store clerk didn't speak and wasn't even taking his purchases. He didn't know whether to smile or cringe when he saw how the clerk was looking and smiling at him unnaturally.

The clerk then leaned down a bit, still smiling that weird smile, his gaze towards RJ unwavering as it seemed like he was feeling for something under the cashier counter.

"Kuya?"

"Love, eto na yung M&Ms mo. Oh, bakit hindi ka pa nagbabayad?" Maine asked as she approached RJ on the counter, placing the small bag of chocolates with the rest of the items RJ brought.

"Si kuya, medyo nakakapraning yung ngiti eh," RJ leaned down to whisper in her ear as he looked warily at the store clerk.

Maine frowned as she also looked at the store clerk, still smiling at them with that huge all-out grin, all his teeth showing.

"Uh, love. Mauna na ako sa kotse ha? Hintayin na lang kita dun," Maine said as she slowly walked backwards towards the door, her gaze still on the grinning clerk. She froze on her tracks for a bit when the clerk turned his head to look at her. She smiled a little so as not to seem rude and pushed the door.

Which didn't budge.

Still smiling but with her brows furrowed, she tried again. It still didn't open. This time, she turned around and pushed with all her might. The door remained shut.

She slowly turned around, eyes wide and panicking as she faced RJ and the store clerk.

"Love?" RJ asked, about to walk towards her.

"Stop right there," the clerk suddenly spoke, voice hoarse like it had been unused for a long time. "Ang tagal kong hinintay ang pagkakataong ito. Pagkakataon na dumaan kayo dito pag papunta kayo sa rest house ni Alden Richards. The Alden Richards and The Maine Mendoza in my store. Tingin nyo papalagpasin ko pa 'to?"

RJ and Maine both froze where they were when the store clerk suddenly whipped out a small glock and pointed it simultaneously at the both of them.

"Kuya - baka naman --"

"Ah ah ah ah!" the clerk tutted. "Ms. Mendoza, tabi ka naman kay Mr. Richards dito. Ayan - tama yan. Tapos lakad. Lakad hanggang sa likod. Kita nyo yung pinto? Pasok. Bukas yan. Dali! Pasok na!"

Then he laughed and Maine shivered at the evilness she heard in it, causing RJ arms around her to tighten.

They opened the door and Maine couldn't help the gasp that escaped her, causing her to suddenly turn around and bury her face on RJ's chest.

"Ay tangina!" RJ suddenly exclaimed, his arms going around Maine as he started to shake as well, averting his gaze and trying to erase what he just saw from his mind.

"Ang ganda nila ano?" the store clerk asked as he walked towards what everyone would think were mannequins at first glance. But their surprised open eyes staring blankly as well as their bloodied bodies would tell you otherwise.

"Nandito sila nung isang araw papunta ring Batangas. Meron din atang resort dun si James," the clerk explained as he lovingly caressed the girl's face. "Swerte ko lang na magkasama din sila ni Nadine na pumasok dito. Fan na fan kaya ako ng JaDine at AlDub."

He turned towards the two of them, still clutching each other tight, Maine's face still buried on RJ's chest.

"At talaga namang ang swerte ko ulit dahil kayo naman ang sumunod dito," he grinned then laughed manically. "My collection will now be complete."

And only then did RJ noticed as he held a sobbing Maine in his arms - all the other 'mannequins' in the store's storage area. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath - simply resigned to their fate.