Chapter 3

Melody's POV

I woke up this morning to thankfully no yelling. After I got dressed, I went downstairs and I saw a note on the counter. It said:

Dear worthless brat,

I had to get to work so I could feed you, you worthless brat. So you will have to walk to school today. You know how to get there, and remember the rules.

From Your 'loving and caring' father

I sighed and looked for my apple. When I couldn't find it I looked around and found another note.

P.S. I have also decided that you are getting a little too chubby for my liking, so from now on you only get the one meal a day and that is dinner.

I read it and sighed again because there was nothing I could do about it. He would know if I took anything. So I grabbed my backpack and started my long walk to school. It took me almost thirty minutes to get there and that was me speed walking so I wouldn't be late. When I got there I looked up and went into the building. I found the office fairly easily, but the school looked huge so I know that I will most likely get lost in it. I went into the office, and waited patiently for the lady at the desk to notice me. After a while she looked up and she jumped.

"I'm sorry dear, you startled me, and next time, say something when you are just standing there. Ok?" she said

I sighed, and made the gesture of zipping my lips and then shrugged.

"Oh can you not speak?" she asked

I nodded.

"Oh dear, well then here is your schedule, your locker number with the combination, and a map of the school. And here is a notepad and pen, so that way you can communicate easier." She said

I wrote down: thank you

"No problem sweetheart, I hope you like it here." She said smiling.

I nodded and walked out of the office, and kept my head down studying the map. Suddenly I bumped into someone and sparks flew when my skin made contact with theirs.

I slowly looked up into the boy's hazel eyes and it felt like everything disappeared. For a second I just stood there but then I felt someone's eyes on me, and I blinked and looked over. What I saw made me stiffen. I couldn't believe it; after all of these years I just couldn't believe that I saw him again. I didn't know what to do, whether I should start crying or start hitting him. I knew I couldn't do either though so I ran, once I ran around the corner away from him. I stopped to catch my breath and looked for my locker.

I can't believe it's him, after all this time. Why must he be in this exact same school as me? Why, World, why would you put me through this torture? Well I guess I will just have to avoid him.

I will just have to avoid him, Xavier, My brother.