Chapter 52: Shattered Hearts

Disclaimer: I don't own anything associated with Fruits Basket.

What does it take to set the Sohmas free after Akito's death?

The Puppet Master's Last Testament

Chapter Fifty-Two: Shattered Hearts

Six Months Later

Dear Diary,

I've been busy.

Shigure got rid of me six months ago. He told me that I was part of 'plan' to free the Sohmas from the Juunishi curse. The second part didn't bother me, it's something that all of them, Kisa and Momiji have wanted forever (I would have loved to help!), but the fact that I was used like a game piece, a stupid rag doll, that fact that he didn't trust me enough to tell me. He hurt me. I can't even think about; it hurts so much. I hope all turns out for the best. I wasn't meant to stay that long anyway. It's for the best.

I'm not sure I forgive him. He told me for the first time, that he loved me; all that is gone. Did he really mean it, anyway? Of course not. All our good memories were just a ploy by Akito. That night, I packed my stuff and immediately found a dorm on campus. It's better this way. I can concentrate on my studies. School is draining my mind, but Saki is here. She's back from New York. She had a great time there, saying that Americans were mostly friendly. I try to hide my pain. She's majoring in psychology, and minoring in accounting. Plus, she's taking a hypnosis class. Strangest thing ever, eh?

Hatori called me two days ago and left a message, that was his thirteenth. I've received messages the past months, from Yuki, Haru, and Kisa. I can't bring myself up to it, to call them back. I don't think I can trust anyone anymore. Mom always told me to see the goodness in people, but I can't do it. I'm afraid that they will somehow hurt me. I'm paranoid now.

Everything is a bunch of lies. When Shigure told me he couldn't see me anymore, there was a look of pain and agony. I saw emotion; but one can't read too much into these things. Just like the bracelet (which I put in a box under my bed; I just couldn't throw it away, even after what he did to me). Akito probably told him to buy it. It was probably another gambit. It means nothing. I'm going to get rid of it one of these days. I know just the place, the lake.

The stupid lake where we spent our first 'date' together, if you can call any of those times that. He played me for a pitiful fool. I am one. A total, utter fool.

My heart is broken. I loved Shigure so much. My heart fluttered every time he smiled. Every time he gave me a glance. I am just a fool. I don't think I can ever look at a man again. They really are just dogs.

Well, I really shouldn't drag all this pain with me. Next week, out class is going to Tokyo again. Maybe I'll stay there for awhile. Be independent.

After all, I was before I moved in with the Sohmas. I think...

-Tohru

Tohru tried to wipe the tears off the pages of the diary, only managing to smear everything. Her hand fled to the dog-tag bracelet, the stupid reminder of her pain. She hated it so much, yet couldn't bare to remove it. She became frustrated and she threw the book against the wall. She buried herself in her top bunk and tried crying herself to sleep as she had been doing for the past months.

It was no use. Nothing could get her mind off Shigure.

She kept replaying all of their intimate touches, stolen kisses, and when he had taken her to the bed and hurt her. The night he dumped her, right after giving her the most passionate kiss.