Chapter 39: Scars and Stories

Disclaimer: I don't own anything associated with Fruits Basket.

What does it take to set the Sohmas free after Akito's death?

The Puppet Master's Last Testament

Chapter Thirty-Nine: Scars and Stories

June rolled in without any hesitation. Humidity hung on bodies like an unwanted blanket. The breeze was no longer brisk and chilly, but warm and stifling. Nature was in full force, awaken from its slumber. Birds chirped while flowers opened and closed like clam shells in the ocean. The world moved like the ebb and flow of the ocean, to a steady pace. Everything was alive and spirited.

"You want me to jump off this cliff?" Tohru asked, incredulous.

"I want you take a chance." If you've taken a chance with this relationship; you can do anything.

"But I'm not wearing my swimsuit."

"I'll do it with you." I want you to be happy with me. I do not want you filled with fear or doubt of my feelings for you. From now on, I want to do things with you like a good boyfriend does. This is not a game anymore.

Tohru searched his eyes. She could see that he was perfectly serious. Shigure held his heart in his throat, waiting for her response. She shuffled her feet awkwardly, creating a small dirt whirlwind.

"Let's do it." She finally said.

Shigure let out a deep sigh.

They climbed to the top of the cliff above the small, but deep pond. Shigure took her hand in his, swinging it back and forth. He was so happy to have her back. He wasn't going to give her up. He had felt how painful it was.

"1… 2… 3…. JUMP!"

Their legs left the smooth rock platform. They plunged into the water. It was as though they had hit a glacier, the coldness overwhelming them, seeping into their Shigure pulled both of them down with his weight, but they managed to rise with ease, leaving only bubbles in their wake.

Her eyes were vibrant when they breathed air. He merely stared. He took in her beautiful sight – her locks plastered to the side of her face, like ivy creeping along an exterior wall, the flare of her nostrils, the mole right above her right eyebrow, the hue of her lips.

"Are you alright?" He asked, seeing that she was breathing heavier than he was.

"I'm fine."

Softy, she nodded. "The water is a bit cold."

"Let's get to shore." He pulled her with him, as he kicked his long legs.

He found a clear spot for them to sit down and catch their breaths. His heart pounded with anticipation of that her reaction was.

"That was good." She said.

He smiled at her. "Good."

She took his arm and held it in hers. She took his hand in hers and examined it closely. "You know that a hand tells a lot about a person."

"What, you don't have a hand fetish, do you?" He asked.

"No," she said, "But I have always loved your hands. They are very soft, almost feminine."

"Hey, hey, I do not want to be called a woman." He had a frown on his face, his lips pressed into a firm line.

"It's a compliment; it means that you take good care of yourself. Your nails are short and blunt. I like that, look at mine; they are short too."