Chapter 31: Restless

Disclaimer: I don't own anything associated with Fruits Basket.

What does it take to set the Sohmas free after Akito's death?

A/N: This story is now in the 'M' section. Sorry. I hope that doesn't prevent any of my faithful fans from reading. One can always 'fast-forward' through that kind of stuff… This chapter was made possible by a wonderfully sweet girl, my new beta, Angie!

Shigure Angst (my favorite). Smut. Not much dialogue.

The Puppet Master's Last Testament

Chapter Thirty-One: Restless

Tohru stared back at Shigure with wide eyes. Had he just confessed that he was attracted to her? "Sometimes you don't get it. When I man winks at you he expects you to respond; he is being a lewd pig. You just don't notice. You are so innocent some-fucking-times that it makes me uneasy. Sometimes I wish I could be by your side to watch over you stupid, careless acts. You need to be more aware of your surroundings. You are too delicate to be hurt be someone – a stranger."

Her heart had fluttered off God knows where.

He took one last look at her open mouth and misty eyes, huffed, and stomped to the checkout line.

Tohru pressed to the cold glass door in the frozen foods aisle, allowing the biting chill to bring her down to Earth. She breathed deeply, Shigure's touch made her feel incredible.

She then pushed the cart clumsily after him.

He pushed the door out of the market, not even bothering to hold it for Tohru, who waddled behind him with two large bags of groceries.

Shigure reached his motorcycle in six big strides and swings a leg over the vehicle. He put on his helmet with the dark 'shield', he didn't want to look her in the eyes. Even thought the sun is out and the uncomfortable warmth spread over his broad back, he felt it was scratchy, like the chunky wool sweaters his mom used to knit for him.

She hesitated in front of the motorcycle. He revved it up. She quickly jumped back, all hesitation gone, before getting onto the bike and holding onto him for dear life. He could be so malicious sometimes. Tohru wanted to see his eyes, because she knew, that would betray his emotions. If he truly felt anything for her, they would be dark, dark like that of a muddied lagoon of algae.

After a long silent ride, she said to him aloud, "Would you like to eat shrimp fried rice?"

He nodded.

They twisted down the rocky road to the house and Shigure parked.

Tohru ran up to the porch and unlocked the door. Her fingers fumbled inside her pocket. Her legs were numb, rubbery. She would not last much longer.

She dropped of her stuff on the foyer bench and walked into the kitchen with the groceries. She pulled out the shrimp and began to de-gut them. Shigure removed his shoes and sat on the couch in the living room. He stared expressionlessly at her. He could not say anything. His lips were sealed, glued. He should not have said that overprotective, bold bullshit. It wasn't like him. It make him out to be some good-doer, a hero, a knight, which he wasn't. He was one man used to fend just for himself, and sometimes-the-girl-he-had-to-protect-because-of-course-she-was-the-object-that-would-free-them-from-the-torture-of-being-a-Juunishi.

When dinner was ready (he had fallen asleep in the male alpha position, with his arms crossed and his legs spread open, in the 'dominant' posture), she tapped him softly on the shoulder, unaware of the meaning of his pose. Shigure wanted to speak to her, to somehow smooth out that odd situation in the frozen aisle, but he stopped himself. He clenched his teeth and avoided any eye contact fearing his eyes would give betray his emotions to her.