Goodbyes

Jackie's POV

The scream is shrill and piercing as it awakes me from my dream. My eyes snap open. I'm lying on the ground next to the gallows. Willa, Seth and Rowan all stare at me intently. But I can also feel my head supported by someone's hand. I look up to see Quint. What's he doing here? Before I can ask any questions, he helps me to my feet quickly. I'm too shocked to talk. I don't protest as he leads me toward the direction of the screaming. It's a girl for sure- but I recognize it.

We race through the trees. I notice only notice hands. Quint's are pulling me along but gripping mine as if he'll never feel them again. Willa's and Seth's are entwined, but neither is leading the other, only holding. Rowan's grip a tiny vial. Drusilla had a vial like that...before she left.

We suddenly stop in a clearing of blue-purple flowers. I look at Quint; his eyes are full of terror and horror. I follow his gaze. Amberlyn. She's racing towards us, a wolf on her heels. She's wearing a burgundy sweat shirt overtop a white tee with jeans and black Uggs. Not like her at all. Her brown hair is in a messy ponytail and her face is covered with scratches and dirt. Amberlyn has been searching for us for a while.

The wolf has amber eyes and black fur; it has a mission to kill. Amberlyn sees us and her eyes brighten. She stops slightly in the middle of the clearing. We rush to try to help but it's too late. The wolf's claws sing deeply into her back. Amberlyn cries out in pain. The world stops. Quint shouts. Without knowing it I raise my hand. My heart is acting of its own accord. I finger my black onyx necklace. It hums and glows.

"Neco!" I cry as the wolf runs for us. Black smoke envelops the wolf. It has look of terror as subspace opens and it's sucked away from life.

We run to Amberlyn. She lying face down but I can she that she's looking at us. Her hoodie is soaked darker. Quint skids to halt and kneels down, gently laying his sister's head on his lap.

"How could you be so stupid?" Quint whispers, tears sliding down his face. Amberlyn smiles weakly.

"I learnt from the best." Quint chuckles as he removes her hoodie. The white v-neck is red and see-through; the 3 deep scratches are shown clearly.

"You guys better not be talking about me." Seth says softly. Amberlyn smiles at him. Rowan and Willa bring out the first aid kit.

"Don't bother. I-I know I'm now going to make it." Amberlyn says, tears falling from her slightly closed eyes. Everyone gathers around her.  "Quint, I know what's happened has you...sad but follow Dru's advice. She knows what she is talking about."

I look at Quint; his eyes are fixated on Amberlyn. I wonder what she means. My eyes linger on him but I turn my attention back to amber Lyn.

"Seth, take a step out of your comfort zone. The truth will be exposed eventually. If someone cares about you, what you are won't matter." Seth nods like he understands. I catch his eyes shift to Willa.

"Willa, freedom is closer than you think. Rowan, do what you feel is right."  Amberlyn turns to me. Her breath is shaky "Jackie, forgive and forget."

I stare into her eyes and she gives nod. I want to say something to her. But she closes her eyes curls up. Her chest goes up and down slower and slower until it stops moving completely. She's gone, just like that. Quint sobs. His sister is gone. He sets her down on the flowers. Forget-me-nots. Forgive and forget. I inch over to Quint. His heartbroken face turns to mine. I lean forward and embrace him. I feel his arms around me and his face on my shoulder. How long we sit like this, I don't know.

When we finally break apart, I grasp his hand soothingly. Rowan braids forget-me-nots through Amberlyn's hair with Willa's help. Seth outline's her with smooth white and black stones. I wave my hand and the blood disappears from her shirt. We pull her jacket back on. She looks like Snow White with her pale skin and red lips.

Rowan and I whisper a spell. "Move ad meliora locis. Join lux" Amberlyn's body floats up into the air briefly before it bursts into light. The light pieces float high into the air- all except five. Each of the five float towards us. One light goes into my chest, one into Quint's, Rowan's, Seth's and Willa's. Waving my hand, a portal to the mortal world opens.

"Ready?" I ask Quint. He looks up and takes my hand.

"Forgive and Forget." We walk into the portal, towards the last sprit stone. With Amberlyn as our guide, we'll find it in no time.