Chapter 19

Since she left the lair of the sleeping beasts, Savannah had grown quite a bit. The transformations had tingled and annoyed her. This last time her figure changed, and with it, the pull increased. The ethereal tether had led her into the wilderness.

Another curiosity occurred when she transformed. Sounds from the prey came into her head. They took shape and she knew words. The beasts they rode, they called cars. The material they covered their bodies with, clothes. The world around her made more sense. Trees, roads, people, places, objects and even the small insects flitting about the lights had meaning; purpose. One thing remained constant; her need to feed. This necessity sizzled through her body.

A car skid through the dirt next to the road behind her, a vicious cloud of dust blew through its brilliant lights. Two men emerged from the vehicle. They waved their weapons in the air.

One called to her, "This is the police. We mean you no harm."

She knew that wasn't true, turned and headed down the embankment toward a rushing body of water.

Bullets pinged off rocks and lodged into the dirt as she darted down the hill. The guns shot fast and she couldn't avoid the entire barrage. Several hit her in the right leg and one pierced her side causing some minor skin damage, but a viscous fluid seeped from the wound.

More vehicles sirens yelped in the distance.

Somewhere from behind, a man said, "We found her. She's cornered between us and the river."

Other men pursued. She hit the edge of the river and didn't stop. With a flex and lunge, she soared over the river, landing on her hands and legs in a patch of grass on the other side. Over her shoulder, several lights bounced up and down as the men made their way down to the water's edge. She listened hard and their voices became clearer.

"Did she just do what I thought she did?" one of them asked.

"Yeah. Better call the F.B.I. guy and tell him we lost her again."

"He's gonna be pissed. Hell no. You call him."

"Let's have the sheriff call him."

"Good idea."

Savannah disappeared into the waiting arms of the forest. The moon bathed her as she maneuvered through dense shrubs and thickets of trees. Dark thoughts from one of the men clouded her mind. The things he wanted made her heart race and the terrible realization of her nakedness overcame her. She knew what she needed but had no idea how she would go about obtaining them. She needed clothes.

Please leave a comment, and if you liked the chapter, click on the star.