Chapter 15

Ross hadn't lied. He'd had firsthand experience with plenty of jumpers. Only ... his jumpers usually showed up on America's most wanted federal fugitive's lists. Not wanting to alarm the woman, he started talking very softly. "Hello there. My name's Ross. I just thought I'd come over and see how you're doing." He sat down at a small plastic table.

She had two hands on the bars behind her and leaned forward. Tear-streaked makeup smudged below her eyes.

He needed to establish some sort of rapport with the woman. Niceties are a must.

She closed her eyes, yet her lips moved as if she were saying something to herself. When he got closer, he recognized her recitation of The Lord's Prayer. It quickened his pulse and urgency. Sphincter pucker factor, DEFCON four.

"Our Father, which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, for thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory ..."

She whispered the prayer over and over, but never ended with 'Amen'.

"My name's Ross." He repeated. "What's yours?"

Charlotte ignored him and kept on with her contemplative reverie.

"Can we talk?" If he could get her to open up to him, his chances of keeping her from jumping would raise considerably.

She fumbled with her words but continued with the prayer.

He felt as if he'd gotten through to her. "I know this is a lot to take in right now. Know that you're not the only woman in this situation." He kept his voice steady and confident.

She stuttered and turned towards him. Despondent eyes ate into his soul.

"Please. All I want to do is talk." He motioned down with his hands, a technique he'd learned at the F.B.I. academy, a calming device. Sometimes it worked, others, well, he didn't want to think about the times it hadn't.

She opened her mouth and quickly shut it.

"It's okay. We're just two people chit-chatting. Would you care to join me? I heard the dining here is out of this world."

The joke brought her thin red lips into a half-smile.

That's it. Stay with me.

Any minute she'd burst into tears and climb back over the rail. With her safe in his arms, he'd escort her back to Alexa's office for a nice cup of tea, and he'd convince her everything would end up okay, though he knew it to be far from the truth.

Charlotte glanced away from Ross, down at the pathway below but said nothing. She turned, and for a long moment, he thought she'd crawl over the rail and into his arms. Her eyes went blank and he lunged for her as she let go of the rail. His hips rammed into the metal but he grasped a handful of the sweater to stay her. The light-knit stretched and tore. Ross lunged, wrapped both arms around her, and pulled. She winced as he cinched his grip across her swollen belly. A wave in her stomach rippled across his forearms. The two fell backward onto the concrete patio with a thud.

Cheers rang out from behind them.

Charlotte sobbed in his arms. "What am I gonna do? I can't ... I can't lose my baby."

Ross threw his jacket over her shoulders, hugged her close, and led her towards the office. "They'll figure this out. Dr. Mason's working on a cure. You trust her, don't you?"

The frightened woman clung to the lapels of his jacket. She nodded.

"She's gonna make everything better. Let's get you inside."

Thanks for reading. You guys are awesome.

Please comment and vote if you liked the chapter.