Chapter Forty One

There is no mistaking what happened when I start waking up. I know better than to think it all a dream, so before my eyes even open I know I'm not safe. 

Only I feel safe. The sheets around my body are cool, clean, and crisp. My body doesn't ache, for it rests on a mattress so plush it could rival a cloud. My eyes open to meet a room void of personality, but not hostile in anyway. Light colors, mainly white, fill the space around me. I don't pay much attention to the crown molding or to the nightstand; my focus is on the door slightly ajar that leads to freedom. 

My body  itches to spring out of bed and race out the door, to my mate and to safety. I have to hold my instincts back. Who knows what could be lurking outside the maple door. Even so, my curiosity gets the best of my and I slip out of bed. My bare feet hit the cold wood and I jump a bit in surprise, also for the clothing I'm wearing. An almost vintage looking nightgown covers all my body down the my ankles and wrists. The empire waist hugs my chest a little too tight, but it drapes smoothly over my growing stomach. 

I don't know what alarms me more, the fact that someone dressed me or the knock on my door.

"Hello?" I timidly call out.

I mentally curse at myself. My voice needs to be strong for both me and the child I'm protecting. 

"Glad to see you're awake," a light and airy voice drawls out. 

Raven hair and pale skin poke through the doorway. I'm greeted with the face of my  captor, Morina. 

"You!" I seeth out looking around for a weapon to defend myself with. 

"Now, now love. We need to have a discussion." Her sweet voice and equally sugary smile makes my stomach turn. 

"The only thing we need to discuss is how you're going to let me go back to my mate!" 

"Don't you see? We're protecting you from him."

***

Sitting all around me are people trying to keep me safe, or trying to kill me. Morina and Mitch are sitting in front of me with glasses of tea in their hands; I too was offered a refreshment, but I can't trust that I won't be poisoned with a sip of earl grey. Still clad in this ridiculous nightgown, I pull my legs up onto the plush loveseat I'm currently sitting on. I glare at the person sitting to the left of me, another rat in our pack that's working for the enemy. 

"So how long have you been conspiring against us Gabe?" My steely voice sending daggers through him. 

"I'm not conspiring against you, I met my mate here. The alpha and luna thought it'd be nice to see a familiar face." He mumbles before stuffing a cookie into his mouth. 

"I don't want to see anyone who's in on the act of killing me!" 

"Enough!" Mitch exclaims, "stop acting like a child and listen for once in your damn life!" 

The harsh words from an otherwise angelic looking man makes my voice disappear. I bring my knees up to my chest and try to put as much distance between me and the monsters as possible. 

"We're here to help you Stormy, not harm you." His voice drops to a gentle murmur. 

"I don't believe you." I look him dead in the eyes with defiance. 

"If we wanted to hurt you then we would have done it by now. We're on your side, you have to believe us." Morina stresses while setting her cup down. 

"I don't know if I can. Look at it from my point of view: drugged, kidnapped by wolves who drink blood, wake up in clothes you didn't fall asleep in. It should be easy to see where my apprehension for a polite conversation comes from."