Chapter Twenty One

I'm posting Twenty One and Twenty Two at the same time so you don't have to wait. It was originally supposed to be one chapter, but I really want to end it where I end it for thematic purposes. Both of the chapters are rather short, but it still is a double update xx

Suddenly everything clicked into place: the possessive behavior on all of us, the way he almost carnivorously eats meat, and his daily walks in the surrounding woods. Mateo must  be a werewolf. My heart picks up in pace and I keep my expression unchanging, time for a test.

"How fast is my heart beating?"

He waits a few seconds, staring at my wrist. "Around 180 beats per minute."

We look at each other and I know. He's know I know.  I nod my head after placing my fingers to my wrists for a few seconds.

"So I take it you know Boomer," he chuckles darkly staring at the drawn curtains.

"I lived with him for a while yeah..." I sit up in bed and fold my hands in my lap, staring at them while I try not to cry.

"I take it he didn't succeed in the wolf thing."

I shake my head violently with my eyes fused shut so the tears don't fall down my face. I'm tired of crying when I hear that name, I'm tired of being scared of simplest things. I want to lead a normal life again, even if it is as a human.

"He's only ever done it once, the total wolf mind." He explains looking blankly at the door.

"It's just not natural, only alpha's and beta's should share consciousness with their wolves, but being all wolf. I just can't imagine what it's like to live like that."

"I," he pauses collecting his thoughts. "I know because he grew up with me, we were friends in Boomer's pack. He was the strongest pup in the bunch, he's his son. He was never the same. He became ruthless and cold, he doesn't have caring emotions towards other. I think it's safe to say he doesn't have a mate."

"I couldn't imagine growing up there, I'm sorry." I whisper looking over at his stone face.

"He hated me, he hated his own son." He spits out.

"You're his son?" I exclaim.

"My mother was a human, she fell for him. Unknowingly becoming his mistress. She got pregnant with me, and I guess her body couldn't handle a werewolf baby, because she died while giving birth to me. They had to cut me from her body, and I don't even think Boomer cared she was gone. He hated me from the beginning, he already had a son to carry on as alpha, and I wasn't a girl so I couldn't be sent off to live with anther pack as a piece token."

I rub my hand on his shoulder, trying to give him any comfort I can.

"After the success with his first son, he tried it on several omegas. All but two died, and those two who became humans were sent off pack lands like you were. When I was fifteen he tried with me, one session in and I bolted as far away as I could. I got in contact with one of the two human survivors and lived with them for a while before I came here. Only there was something strange about him."

"What was it?" I can't help but think of the worst, something that will happen to me in the future.

"He was able to turn himself into a werewolf again."

"W-what?" I sputter out staring at him in disbelief. That's unheard of, not possible.

"It's a grueling process, but we can turn you back into a werewolf."