Chapter 25

A FEW BLOCKS from the coffee shop, Marconi flagged a cab, helped her into the back and slid in beside her through the same door.

"Brookfield Metra platform," he instructed.

Mandy looked at him questioningly.

"I need to get my car."

They drove in silence most of the way. Marconi sat back in his seat, staring straight ahead with an intense look on his face. She studied his profile: angular jaw, darkened with a five o'clock shadow, intense brown-black eyes, long eyelashes and wavy dark brown hair, slightly longer in the back. He was rugged, Italian, and hot. Before the kiss, she hadn't really noticed, all she'd seen was the cop.

His concentration broke and he looked over. "You keep looking at me like that and I'll have to change my plans as to where we go once I get my car," Marconi said.

Mandy blushed and looked straight ahead. "Where are we going?"

"CPD headquarters. I need to check a few things."

"Don't worry, I'm not going to arrest you," Marconi added. "Not yet anyway." He smiled a crooked half-smile - devious, and sexy as hell.

That pretty much ended all conversation until the cab pulled up at the Metra station. Marconi settled-up and led her to his shiny, metallic blue Mustang. He opened and closed the door for her before heading to his own. Whether it was a police habit or manners, she couldn't tell.

Eight cylinders roared to life as he turned the key in the ignition. She didn't know what she'd expected his car to be. A police cruiser maybe? But the Mustang suited him nicely, a muscle car.

Marconi finally broke the silence, "What's wrong?"

"You're not just going to waltz me into the police station are you? I mean, aren't I a wanted criminal or something? Won't they expect you to arrest me?"

After a moment, he said, "You have a point. How about I drop you at my place. I'll head into the office, check a couple of things and meet you back there."

"Sure, fine by me." Mandy relaxed in the seat, enjoying the feel of the powerful car at Marconi's skillful hands.

* * *

MARCONI PULLED INTO a parking garage under a tall apartment building and maneuvered toward the elevators. Pulling into a no parking zone at the front, he put the car in park, removed the keys from the ignition, and peeled one off of the ring.

"Apartment 705. Do you want me to come in with you?" he asked, handing her the key.

"No, that's OK. I'm sure I can find it."

"Make yourself at home. I'll be back in a couple of hours. Don't answer the phone and stay away from the windows."

"Thanks, Dino," Mandy said, getting out of the car.

Marconi smiled. He hadn't expected her to use his nickname. He wasn't even sure why he'd told her. It just kind of slipped out. He watched her get in the elevator. As soon as the doors closed, he pulled away, the image of her smiling face and piercing gold eyes seared into his brain.

If Coombs was involved, he couldn't take her to the station. She'd be safer here. He needed to find out what the hell was going on.

* * *

MANDY STEPPED INTO Marconi's apartment, found the light switch and flipped it on. The apartment was clean and orderly, decorated in a manly themes of black and brown, leather, chrome and glass. She turned and locked the door behind her before entering his man cave.