Chapter 16

ZEUS AWOKE, INVIGORATED. Birds sung cheerfully in the black spruce trees surrounding the clearing as the sun crested the horizon. The air held a fresh, clean scent. Stretching his massive muscles, he took a deep breath of morning air and turned to the Graeae.

"Now that it is light and you are awake, Zeus, we can take you to our Gorgon sisters," the one with the eye said.

"Yes. Thank you, sisters."

"Follow us."

Single file, they wound through the cool, thick forest, over a ridge and down into a valley. The spruce gave way to loosely spaced elms. Misty shafts of light cut through the canopy of leaves, awakening the moss and lichen below. The air warmed, releasing an organic aroma of damp earth mixed with old, fallen leaves.

The Graeae slowed as they approached a clearing nestled against a rock face. Marble statues littered the glade — remnants of those foolish enough to trespass, a warning those who would try. A cave opening was carved into the rock face at the back.

"Wait here, Zeus. You may wish to step behind a tree so they do not see you."

"Yes, Graeae. You are very wise." Zeus chose a large elm with a good vantage point and pierced his sword in the soft earth so he could see into the clearing through its reflection. There he hid while they disappeared through the hanging vines into the mouth of the cave.

Zeus heard the muffled dissent, echoing from deep within the cave. He was grateful to the Graeae. Not even a god of his stature would endure the wrath of the Gorgons in their private lair. Perseus, the fortunate imbecile, was lucky to be alive.

Finally, the ruckus abated and the Graeae emerged followed by their sisters — Stheno and Euryale.

"Gorgons," announced Zeus from his hiding spot.

Stheno aimed her powerful stare at the intruder, but he was nowhere to be seen.

"No, Stheno. Do not harm him. He is here for good," the Graeae whimpered.

"Silence!" hissed Euryale. "Show yourself, Zeus, betrayer of our beloved Medusa."

"Truce! I did not betray her. Hear what I have to say."

At the urging of the Graeae, the Gorgons settled. From his position behind the tree, Zeus began his story, tactfully leaving out the part about the brotherly competition to woo her affection. "She was my true love, Medusa. For obvious reasons, we kept it secret."

The Gorgons stole a glance at one another.

Zeus continued, "Until that fateful day. The news hit me like a thunderbolt. Athena had caught Medusa in the throes of passion with Poseidon, my own brother! Athena's retribution was swift, cursing her into a hideous monster with skin as pale as death, venomous asps for hair, clawed, leathery wings..."

"Ahem!" Euryale interrupted.

"Hideous monster?" Stheno hissed.

"Oh." Zeus cleared his throat, "You know the rest."

The Graeae sisters giggled. A glare from the Gorgons silenced them.

Zeus continued. "I hated them all. Athena — for breaking my heart with such glee as she regaled all the sordid details. Poseidon — for defiling the woman I loved. And Medusa... If Athena hadn't already cursed her, there was no telling what punishment I would have wrought."

Euryale tensed.

Zeus carried on. "Betrayal and pain transformed into a blind rage. Fearing what I might do, I fled to Mount Olympus, seeking peace and solitude. There, I brooded for many days and many nights."