Chapter 17

THE GULFSTREAM II touched down and taxied to the charter terminal at Athens International. The pilot made an announcement. "Thank you for flying Priority One, gentlemen. I hope you had a pleasant flight. Local time in Athens is 9:52 a.m.. The forecast for today is partly cloudy with a high of twenty-eight degrees Celcius. You may now use any electronic and communication devices, but please remain buckled-in until we come to a complete stop. Thank you."

Seth glanced across the aisle at Brother Dan who was intently studying his phone, his expression grim. Occasionally, he'd glare in Seth's direction and shake his head. A pit developed in his stomach. Something was wrong.

Brother Dan was unusually quiet while the bags were unloaded. "Gentlemen," he said. "Please proceed to the bus." Once there, he debriefed them on the Chicago situation.

Brother Avery agitated by the side of the bus. "This is bad, Seth. This is very, very bad. I thought you said the crypt was secure?"

"It is. It was. I initiated the electronic shutdown myself. The key alone would not have permitted access," Seth said.

"Now is not the time for the blame game." Brother Dan frowned. "What we have here is a major security breach. Seth, you head home on the next flight out. Fortunately, I assigned resources to the meddlesome couple in Chicago or we'd be completely ignorant of their latest trespass."

"I'll have them put on ice until our return. Seth, you need to assess your facilities as soon as you get there. Get them up and running in short order. In the meantime, we need an alternative holding area. Suggestions?"

"How about my place in the country?" Brother Nathan offered.

"Yes, excellent," Brother Dan said. "My people will take care of it. Seth, what was in the yellow box they carried out of the crypt?"

Seth's face drained of color. Pallid and sweaty, his meekly admitted, "Ceremonial recordings."

Brother Dan clenched his teeth and narrowed his eyes. "You CAN'T be serious."

Brother Avery ranted. "A betrayal of our trust and the Brotherhood. You disgrace and shame us, Brother Seth. I hope it was worth it."

Seth's shoulders slumped. "I'm so sorry. My enthusiasm for the cause has clouded my judgment. I will do anything to make it right. Anything."

"Let's hope it's not too late," Brother Dan said. "Brother Nathan, would you accompany Brother Seth home on the next flight? The two of you coordinate our efforts on that end. I'll set up a meeting with the Elders. The remainder of us will return as scheduled to avoid undue suspicion."

Brother Dan leered at Seth. "Barring any further unforeseen emergencies."

* * *

MANDY SCREAMED, WRENCHED from a disturbing nightmare in Athena's dungeon where she'd been on the rack. Her arms burned from the intense stretch, her shoulders on the verge of dislocation. The pain and horror felt so real.

Ryan sat beside her. "Are you OK? What happened?"

Her breathing was fast and shallow, her gaze locked in the imagery of her dream.

"Mandy?"

Finally, his voice broke through the icy veneer. She turned to face him, taking a ragged breath.

"Bad dream?" He gently stroked her cheek.

She barely nodded, her eyes moist, on the verge of tears.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

She shook her head.

"We don't have to get up yet. Come on, let's rest a while longer." He gently coaxed her to lean against him then nestled back to the pillows.