PROLOGUE

I've watched and witnessed the mate bond between numerous wolves throughout the years. I'm talking about werewolves like me. We all have a mate. One that is meant to be the other halves of our souls. Mates destined just for each other. When a wolf finds their mate, it should be the most wonderful experience. Love at first sight at its best.

It's said that our kind would risk their own lives to protect the ones they love, especially their mates and the pups they have together. My parents died protecting each other during a rogue attack. I've heard many stories about how they fought side by side to not only protect each other, but the child they created and loved with all their heart. I was just a pup when my parents had taken down about ten rogue wolves between them. At the end, it was only one mad rogue that had killed them both. I was still bundled up unharmed between their fallen wolves.

I lived with my grandparents after their deaths. My Grandfather loved my grandmother like she was a gift sent from the Gods. He truly believed the Moon Goddess blessed her with gifts of divine powers. She was his life, his love, his best friend, and all of that good stuff in between. After my grandmother's passing, Grandpa lost a part of himself. We watched as his bright happy eyes dimmed with sadness and grief. This went on for two months until he no longer had the strength to live without her and passed in his sleep.

I was sent to live with my dad's brother and his mate after my grandfather's funeral. My cousin, now Alpha of Grandfather's pack, had offered for me to stay, but there were too many memories. My grandparents were my life and it would not be the same without them. I couldn't stay.

My uncle said his home and arms would be open if I ever needed a place to run. I ran into his warm arms. My uncle is one of the most loving people I know. He is one to think of others before himself. He had been Beta to my father, but left when his mate had not wanted to leave her pack.

If there are any good examples about how wonderful finding your mate could be, my aunt and uncle are the poster couple. They act like teenagers that discovered love for the first time. I can't tell you how often I have walked into a room to find them heavily making out. My poor innocent eyes.

Don't get me wrong. Loving mates still argue and disagree occasionally, but at the end of the night they are holding each other and whispering sweet nothings. They kiss and make up then cuddle on the couch. I thought it was the same with all werewolves after they found their mate. I had never known otherwise.

I wanted to feel what they felt. I wanted to meet my mate. I wanted to fall irresistibly, undeniably, and eternally in love. That's what mates are supposed to do, but I learned it's not the case for everybody. It wasn't the case for me.

Out of all the emotions that come with having a mate, the one I never suspected to have was pain. I felt true malicious, embittered, physical and emotional pain. Why did I have to see love for what it could be and have it ripped from my hands over and over. I had to question 'why me?'. Why?