“Ah.” I scratched the back of my neck. “Sounds like something Eros would do, honestly.” The old Eros, anyway. The pre-reformed Eros.

“I was about to say the same thing,” Simon agreed.

“Anyway, the others all agreed and said something about returning to the old days,” Minnie went on with her story. “Mr. Hammerhead was furious, yelling something about teaching students to restrain themselves and how it wasn’t up to the school board to decide about matters like this. Mr. Combright had a whole speech about how young people couldn’t deal with the responsibility they were offered and how vampires en werewolves were only truly no longer a danger to others when they were in isolation. I couldn’t hear half of what he was saying, but the other board members seemed to agree with him.”

“Holy shit, this is bad,” Simon mumbled, dragging a hand through his hair. “Shit…”

“What is bad?” I asked, feeling like I was missing something. Surely this didn’t seem like a good thing, but I didn’t get the connection to the village.

“Think, Demona!” he exclaimed. “The board wants vampires and werewolves in isolation, and the members are having us evacuate an entire village!”

 “So… you’re saying they want us to help them isolate ourselves?” I said incredulously. “That doesn’t make any sense.”

“It does, actually,” Will mused. “Mr. Hammerhead told us once in class something about the old days… During the middle ages humans tried to round up witches and burned them to death. Vampires were staked, werewolves banned from cities… Fairies got captured and sold to rich men who used the girls to fulfill their wildest dreams.”

“That’s awful.” I shuddered. “But the villagers aren’t doing that to any of us. Besides, staking a vampire? Isn’t that something out of a movie?”

“You would die if I shove a stake through your heart,” Antwan told me with a little smile. “Sure, a knife would be easier and just as effective, but you can die by a stake, Dem.”

“Fair enough,” I agreed. “But why are the middle ages relevant?”

“Because around 1500 the supernaturals started forming their own separate communities to make sure no one could harm them ever again. They built cities that only housed vampires, werewolves, witches and fairies.” Simon was in full teacher mode. “The fairies were the first to leave, because they felt closer to the humans than to the other supes. The stories about people with supernatural powers had become folklore and fairy tales by that time. The next to return to the human word were the witches, because they despised the violence the werewolves and vampires so often displayed.”

“Besides, many of the witches were male and they were starting to run out of females to mate with,” Antwan added with a mischievous grin. “So they went after the fairy girls and made a bunch of little witches and fairies with them.”

“You managed to find a witch,” Minnie commented with a sweet smile.

“It’s no longer the old days, honey,” Antwan laughed. “Besides, with my good looks I could get human girls, fairies, witches and weres alike.” He shot a look at me. “And vampires I guess, if Dem hadn’t been so infatuated with Simon.”

We all laughed, but Simon was the first to go back into his serious mode. “Anyway, after a while vampires and werewolves started interacting with the outside world again, but they knew their kids had to be taught restraint. So they started looking for the best teachers amongst them, letting them instruct the teenagers during their transition.”

“Of course supernaturals are very much like humans,” Will continued the history lesson. “Like humans, supernatural parents died, or left their kids, or just didn’t care about their education and safety enough to help them through the transition themselves. That meant there were many young super that had to fend for themselves, without knowing how to deal with their powers. Supernatural boarding schools were born, sprouting up everywhere. At first they were very much separate from the humans, but it turned out that when the supernaturals were inserted into human society after they finished the Trans… well, let’s say it wasn’t pretty.”