thirty seven • a teenage vow in a parking lot: till tonight do us part

Start from the beginning

For a war in the Zones, there were a surprising amount of draculoids in the city. Party and Jet had changed into the usual citizen attire for the day to wear as they walked around (against his better judgement, Jet had found a black wig and made him wear it) looking for supplies they could use. 

"So, we have some stuff that's not Power Pup-"

"Beef jerky."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. We also have beans and blankets, and-" Party, upon being cut off again, was about to murder whoever had spoken to her until she saw the Better Living employee- a bright smile across her face that almost looked murderous.

"All citizens are required to get their vaccinations today. Have you two yet?" she inquired, looking between the two. 

Neither really knowing what was the appropriate response, it was Jet that tried first. "No, not yet. We were looking, but we forgot where to go." 

"That's not a big deal! Two blocks down, and it's on your right. Remember to have your headphones turned up to 5.7 after four o'clock!" 

She didn't leave, though, she kept watching the two. When they decided on a whim to go with her instructions in hopes she'd go away, the Killjoys found they were in for a lovely surprise when she didn't. Once they were inside the building, she stood at the door and continued to watch them, waiting to see what they would do.

"We don't have a choice," Jet mumbled, nudging Party towards the counter.

Now, Party hadn't come across needles in a long time, but upon seeing one again she practically passed out on the spot. "F-fuck," she mumbled, "I didn't realize...we should just shoot her and run."

"And get killed by the dracs that are on high alert? You really are suicidal."

Jet sat Party down, and the two watched the employee roll up her sleeve and push it far past her elbow. The elder Killjoy could already see her sweating at the sight of the set of vaccinations, but Jet gave her shoulder a slight squeeze to remind her of his presence. Really, she just wished Ghoul was there. Or, even Kobra would be comforting too. 

The first needle went in, earning a small squeak. Jet had crouched next to her, muttering quietly things she could never remember, but still acting as something else to focus on other than the next two needles. The other arm got two shots, but once Party was done, standing up and having to lean on the chair once Jet had sat down to avoid shaking. 

"Excuse me, but what are these for again?" Jet asked as the employee had a much easier time giving him the shots.

"Flu, tetanus, TB, HUL, and polio."

"I haven't heard of HUL before," Jet remarked, "what is it?"

"Nasty thing, I'm not sure you would have. It destroys your immune system and wrecks havoc on your body as it does so."

Jet just nodded, wondering moreso as to why this variety of shots were being given, along with whether they would actually work, but given the technology they'd come up with, he figured at least two of them were bound to take affect. 

"Now, if you stay out of contact with anyone infected for twenty four hours, they should take hold for at least ten years, maybe longer if you don't come in direct contact."

"And if we do?"

"Ten years minimum before you come back and get another shot or you get infected too."

Jet Star nodded, nudging Party out of the building, though it seemed she was still in partial shock. "Have a lovely day! Keep smiling!" The BLI employee that was waiting at the door smiled brightly and waved, though the two made their best efforts to blend back into the crowds. 

"Do we need anything else before we head back out to the Zones?" Jet asked, glancing down at Party once she had more or less regained herself.

"Batteries. Flares. Probably new shirts if we can find them." 

They surprisingly were able to find everything else they needed, including a pair of cat ears Party had shoved to the bottom of her bag to avoid any questions from Jet. She was entitled to her own life, it didn't matter what anyone else thought of it or her. 

Either way, the two left the city, Jet driving out this time as they made pretty good time for getting out to Zone Four. They weren't really being followed from the city, though Party did lean out the window to shoot a pair of draculoids on the side of the road at one point. It was better to take care of them now then possibly be ambushed by them later on. They made it to the meeting point before they'd discussed meeting, though it allowed time for Jet and Party to set up camp.

Kobra returned alone after nearly two hours, slipping in and dropping his bag in the car, hanging around out of view for as long as possible before Party and Jet had waved him over.

"What happened?" Jet asked when Kobra had sat down, though there was a long pause of silence after Kobra had answered 'not much.'

There was a long pause, Party and Jet glancing between each other and Kobra before looking around. "Where's Ghoul?"

"Honestly? I've got no idea."

- - - - - - 

double update bc i have less than ten chapters left of this ish so mwuah

<3 you guys, votes and comments are appreciated xoxo