thirty five • the absinthe angel

Kobra had gotten used to the consistency that was his racing schedule. Once a month, every third Saturday. Every second Saturday, he'd begin checking Brendon's bike over, fixing anything that needed it and touching up anything else. He'd never been scared of his motorcycle, even after crashing twice. 

Oddly enough, once he'd finally been sober for a week from everything except water and Power Pup, it wasn't too bad. Though, the urge to gamble and smoke was still present, he felt if he ever even touched alcohol he'd puke, though that was probably thanks to Jet. 

The few months that had passed had consisted mostly of Party readjusting to life in the Zones, and once again reaching the point where he shot cockroaches for getting too close to the meager supply of coffee they had (which meant basically anywhere inside the diner that he saw- because that was too close for comfort when it came to his precious coffee). 

- X - 

"Wait, wait, I'm still confused about Ghoul..." Missile Kid asks, shaking her head and frowning as she looks up at everyone. 

Ghoul finally sighs, glancing at Party before looking at her. "I almost died from some illness I picked up in Battery City. I'm not even sure if it's still around, but...that's why I'm always taking the meds, otherwise I'd die from some nasty things I'm pretty sure nobody wants to hear about. It was like some really bad virus, I guess, from the slums that destroys your immune system and proceeds to other areas as well."

Party nudges Ghoul gently, then wraps his arm around him, sighing at the thought. "We need to fix your arm brace, too."

"It's fine, don't worry about it."

"No, it's not. If you aren't careful, you're going to loose your whole arm from one shot." 

"I'll take my chances." Ghoul smirks for a second then sighs. "Fine, I'll wear it tomorrow."

"Good. Where are Jet and Kobra?" Party sits up to look around, then glances at Missile Kid when she starts speaking again.

"They went to get food," she says, nodding quickly. 

Ghoul sniggers for a moment. "Bet they're looking for sausage."

"Shuddup, man, that makes me want to puke," Party says, nudging Ghoul again. "That's my little brother and my best friend."

"Yeah, I know, but the face you make when you're grossed out is cute." 

- X -

It didn't take long before Kobra ended up back in a bar with Arms Race, who seemed greatly amused about the whole situation. "Dude, your race is tomorrow, this is gonna be sick," he said, still not able to get over the simple fact that Kobra was racing through Battery City the next day. 

"Deal me in, will you?" A girl had spoken, directing the attention of everyone from the table. 

"Who are you?" Kobra asked, leaning back in his chair as he waited for the cards.

She sat down, raising an eyebrow. "Absinthe Angel. I'm new around here," she said, "just escaped the city a few weeks ago."

"Is that so?" Kobra asked, taking the cards as he observed her. She did sort of look like Jet, and that could've been a racist comment floating in Kobra's head, but he decided not to share it.

They played a few games, she lost every one and folded the last time. Obviously, she was new, but Kobra was still wary of her. He wasn't fifteen anymore, when he just trusted people on a whim. He'd grown up and learned the world was cruel and played games with you whenever it deemed fit. Maybe he'd grown up faster than the others, maybe he hadn't, but Kobra was the coldest out of all of them since their split and reunion.