Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Sam

I froze. I can feel my heart pounding loudly inside my chest. I can hear Xander's growls in the background, but I can't focus on that. I can only focus on the words written on that piece of paper. That piece of paper that was wrapped around an arrow to kill me. They found me. They found me and they're out there waiting for the right time to strike.

'What did I ever do to them to make me hate me so much? I know that my parents' death affected the whole pack, but I didn't know it was this bad. What should I do?' I thought, feeling myself shake from the thought of my old pack.

I heard Xander barking out orders at the people around, his arms wrapped tightly around me. I leaned into his hard chest to prevent myself from falling, my knees were starting to wobble.

I can feel the vibrations from Xander's growl throughout my entire body, shaking me even more. I whimpered and wrapped my arms around Xander's neck, putting my face on his chest.

"I want the trackers to find any clues, scent, or anything that may help us find who did this. Mind-link me if you find anything," Xander's voice commanded.

I felt Xander put his arms under my back and the back of my knees, carrying me bridal style. I can hear the voices of the pack members fading in the distance as he walked further into the forest.

I felt Xander stop walking for a minute before I heard the sound of a door opening and closing once we were inside the house, the scent letting me know that we arrived at Xander's house.

With my face still on his chest, I felt him walking up the stairs and opening the door to our bedroom. I felt him lowering me down on the bed. I closed my eyes, afraid to open them and face reality again. Afraid that when I open them, everything will disappear, and that all of the things that happened this past few days were nothing but a dream.

I can hear Xander shuffling in our room before I felt the side of the bed dip. I still have my eyes closed when I felt Xander wrap his arms tightly around me, stuffing his face in the crook of my neck.

"I will do everything I can to protect you. You're my mate and it's my duty to make sure that you're okay, that you're safe and happy. Nobody's taking you away from me. You're mine. Never forget that." I heard Xander say. I dug my face in the pillows before forcing my body to stop shaking.

'I can't let my old pack ruin me again. I have to fight back and tell myself that everything is going to be okay, even though it's not. I have to stop whimpering every time I remember my old pack. I can't let them drag me down in life.' I thought before feeling myself succumb to a dreamless sleep.

*-*-*-*

I see Xander standing in front of me, looking at me with dead cold eyes. I tried to walk up to him, but I can't move. I tried again but my legs took two steps back, away from Xander.

"Xander!" I called out.

He looked at me without any expressions on his face. I tried to run up to him but I felt hands grabbing me from behind. I reached out to Xander pleading him to help me, but he just looked at me. I felt the hands dragging me away, farther and farther before I felt myself being thrown in a pit of fire.

I can feel the fire burning in my vein. I screamed and asked for help, but no one came. I can feel the fire consuming my whole body, making me scream louder. I looked to the side and saw Xander looking at me with emotionless eyes. I tried to call out to him, but my throat felt dry.

"Xan-Xander, pl-please help me" I tried to tell him, but the fire intensifies, making I impossible for me to utter a single word. I couldn't do anything but scream and ask for help, even though no one came.

"Sam!" I heard someone scream my name. I tried to look for the source of the voice but I couldn't see anybody.

"Sam!" I heard it again.

"SAM!" I heard Xander's voice shout, waking me up panting and gasping with beads of sweat all over my body.

I can feel the heat all over my body. I threw the covers to the side in an attempt to cool me down, but it didn't work. I ran to the bathroom and filled the tub with cold water before jumping inside with my clothes on, not caring in the slightest as long as I'm cooled down.

The cold water helped me cool down for a bit, but the fire inside me didn't disappear making me grit my teeth in pain.

I saw Xander by the doorway of the bathroom, looking feral with his claws and canines out, his eyes glowing a bright yellow. He sniffed the air and let out a growl that made my wolf howl out to Xander's wolf. I saw Xander fighting for control with his wolf, but the wolf side is winning the internal battle.

I tried to calm my own wolf down, but she's fighting with me, telling me to mate with Xander. I dunked my head in the water to try and calm my hormones down and to try and wash off the scent of my wolf's arousal. I heard Xander's footsteps leaving the doorway of the bathroom and making his way out of the bedroom, slamming the door behind him.

What is happening to me? Why do I feel so . . . so. Uh, what's the word?

'MATE. WITH. XANDER!' my wolf growled out, trying to take control, but I stopped her. I was trying to think of the cause of this sudden rush of emotion when it suddenly hit me.

I'm in heat.

_______________________________________________________________________