II

This Cutthroat shit is about unity. Black and Brown, Blue and Red. We see no color we all here with one goal and that's to feed our people.
-Joey Fatts

• The Cutthroat Boyz •

The Cutthroat Boyz •

2012.

Joey
Long Beach, CA.

I had spent most of my childhood living on the north side, so to now be moving back to the east was different

I had spent most of my childhood living on the north side, so to now be moving back to the east was different. The last time I lived out here was for like 2 years in high school. I'm now 21 and after years of hustling I now had the means to buy a house. It wasn't much, but it was enough to house me, my mother and two younger siblings. No more going from house to house and couch to couch or sleeping in my car.

I didn't know how I felt about moving my mother in, but it seemed I had no choice. She needed my help, but where has she been the past three years while I struggled? I know I'm a man, but I wasn't a man when she just left me to move to San Fernando Valley. She moved there because my younger brothers father wanted to and within a year he left her. He left her with two kids and my mom turned right back to the bottle.

"I can't believe I'ma have my own room," my little sister, Kamaya beamed. She held a box to her chest looking around. "It took 17 years, but better late than never. I finally don't have to share with Kaine's dirty, stank feet havin' a-"

"Don't even try it," my mom said as she walked in holding a box. "Go pick your room," she said to Kamaya making her walk off. Kamaya was only 2 when our father was killed making her the youngest out my mothers children with my dad. "You sure you can afford this place?" My mom asked sitting the box she was holding down.

"I'm just gonna have to do what I have to do. Money won't be a guarantee each month, but I'ma try. If I had some help, that would be even better." My mom made a face walking off down the hall. I couldn't even tell you the last time she worked and wasn't depending on a man or money from the government.

Somehow in between her alcoholism and depression she met a man and got pregnant by him. She had my younger brother, Kaine, who's now 13. He walked into the house looking around. I placed my hand on his shoulder squeezing it as I asked, "What do you think?"