XLVI

Friendship is everything...relationships not just friendships – relationships with your parents, girlfriend.
-Joey Fatts

• Gone •

2017

Joey
Dallas, TX.

I walk behind the man who is pointing at a large statue of three horses

I walk behind the man who is pointing at a large statue of three horses. I look over at Kaine who is looking around taking it all in. I came out to Texas with Kaine for a college visit to Southern Methodist University. Soon he would be choosing, which school he wants to sign with to play football for.

Even though I'm only eight years older than him, I feel like his parent...His father. The same way my older brothers treated me is the way I treat him. I'm his protector and he's my responsibility. Yes, he has a mother and even a father, but it's always been me taking care of him like he's my child. He's still my responsibility despite my mother being sober now. I'm the one who will be paying the remainder of his fees for school that his scholarship won't. I would do it gladly though just to see him to do all the things I never got to do. I may have broken my promise to my father and brother, but I'll make it happen through Kaine. I had to grow up fast to make sure him and Kamaya were good, but I'm not even mad. It made me who I am.

"I think I wanna come here," Kaine says to me.

"We haven't even finished the tour yet or talked to the coaches."

"I know, but I like it here. I can feel this is where I'm supposed to be."

"That's a strong statement. You sure you wanna leave Cali though?" I ask.

"I'ont know," he says shrugging. "I'm not gon' front, I would miss y'all. You, Kamaya, my friends, even Momma. Me and Ma have had our ups and downs, but I love that lady. I'ma miss her, not gonna miss her nagging me though. But it's time for me to grow up. I can't keep depending on you, so I have to do something for myself, for my future. If you could make it with everything you had against you, I have no excuse."