[Flashback] Captive

"You're brother is the worst roommate I've ever had, Vylad! He's always so grumpy and meticulous about every single thing I do!" I've now been staying with the Ro'Meaves for around 6 months and Zane has yet to warm up to me. If anything, he's even colder towards me than he was when we were kids. I normally wouldn't mind, since it is Zane Ro'Meave, but I've recently been moved into his room and don't appreciate being treated like a bag of bricks, "He practically treats me like some stranger he's being forced to room with because his parents are too nice or something!"

"That's oddly specific..." Vylad mumbles in response, taking a scoop from our shared confection between us on the table, "But you two have had to do a lot of things because of your engagement. Maybe he's just tired from all of it..."

He did have a point. I was barely here a month before wedding preparations, document writing, and treaty signing all practically enveloped huge chunks of my schedule. Sure, it would be a year or two before the two of us would properly be married, but this was work that takes literal years to write up and finish. The death of my parents only complicated the matter that much more.

"True..." I'm lucky I'm even able to get breaks in between. I don't even truly know how much Zane has to deal with on his side.

"If it's too much of an issue, you could always take my bed for a night or two. I wouldn't mind" Vylad lifts his spoon to his mouth, finally eating it after realizing it was melting in his hand. His suggestion has my face warming, going unnoticed as he continues, "It gives Zane his space and you a roommate that isn't picky"

"Maybe so,  but it's a little... Suspicious" He tilts his head in confusion at my words, the lifting of his eyebrow and questioning look in his green eyes painting the very definition of the word, "We're already seen together a lot. Imagine if someone sees me leaving your quarters super early in the morning"

"Crap, I didn't think about that..." We were both very well aware of the recent rumors spiraling around us because of how frequently we're seen together. To some degree, they weren't wrong. I found myself spending more time with Vylad in my free time, preferring his company over the company of who I'm meant to be betrothed to at any time.

My heart almost aches to be away, beats differently when he's near. I wouldn't give up the time we get for anything, but Vylad is my best friend and there is absolutely nothing romantically happening between us.

Besides, even if I was interested in Vylad, that doesn't exactly mean he held those same feelings for me...

"I appreciate the offer, but I really don't want people sullying your name because they think we're sleeping together-"

"I don't care about that. You're uncomfortable in your room right now-" He wasn't wrong "-And I'm just helping out a close friend. Besides, if it bothers Zane, maybe he'll finally make a move or something! There have been so many setups for the two of you to have a moment and he hasn't taken any of those opportunities. I get it's arranged, but he can at least attempt-"

"Okay, okay. I get it" Taking a spoonful of the ice cream, I press it against his lips to quiet him down. I don't miss the way his face turns red, probably in shock, before he takes the treat in his mouth, "I'll be there tonight"
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zane's room is cold that night. There are practically goosebumps on my skin, the feeling prevalent even with me snuggled under the covers and holding myself closely. It's not cold because the AC's too high or because there's only one person in the bed tonight. It's cold because of Zane's haunting words echoing around me, taunting me in the isolation of the locked room.

He's exhausted, yet he still walks as though he hasn't lifted a finger all day. Knowing Zane, both could be true. He stops once he notices me, the eye that isn't covered scanning over me as if he knows of some misdeed I committed.

"You're here early..." He stares a little longer before he sits on the corner of his bed. There's something smug about it and I can't quite place my finger on just what it is, "You're really going to my idiot, younger brother's room, huh? You two really have no shame"

I perk up at the smug tone in his voice, quickly turning to face him better. He's already started moving about setting himself up for bed, but the smug look on his covered face is still ever-present, "Z-Zane, what are you-"

"As much as I'd like to have a bed all to myself, I'm afraid I can't allow you to share a bed with Vylad of all people" There's a grimace on his face as he says his brother's name, his eyes rolling at one point, "And trust me when I say I'm not as merciful as my father when it comes to my wife having children with another man"

"Zane-" I'm unable to speak as his monologue continues, his tone becoming harsher and harsher as he speaks.

"If your liaison didn't interfere with my plans of power, I wouldn't care, but it's imperative that you're stuck with me or the death of your parents would be in vain"  His cerulean eyes are demeaning and intimidating as they stare down into mine, practically unfeeling. I feel a shiver go down my spine as a result and the room suddenly feels tense, "You dying doesn't help my cause, but I wouldn't hesitate to have my bastard half-brother take that place instead, (Y/N)

He left me alone here soon after that conversation, locking the door from the outside.

The pit feeling in my stomach after has me feeling nauseous and my mind, though a little calmer now, is still racing. The situation almost feels helpless. I do feel helpless, locked away in a room with the information I'm not allowed to tell.

I turn to face the other side, hoping the movement would ease me a little warmth. Instead, I'm reminded of a ticket to freedom right within my grasp. I get up from the bed, pushing open the window and sticking my head out. The immediate remembrance of the layout of the castle manages to give me enough courage to step out onto the window ledge. 

Once my body is fully on the ledge, the soft breeze of the outside whipping over my face, I stop. Zane's threats remind me of why I can't leave this room until morning. Feeling defeated, I climb back inside, closing the window shut. 

I settle back into bed, swallowing all of my feelings. I force myself to sleep, reminding myself that I have to be careful and that I can't go back to Vylad if I want him to live.

A/n: Hah, expect another flashback chapter after this soon! The next one will have a callback to a fairly recent one and might get a little... ✨spicy✨

I hope you enjoyed it! Also, this takes a few aspects of Zane's plans and aspirations that were developed upon a small bit in MCD Rebirth, which might help a certain line about parents make a little more sense. Anyway, sorry to skip some of the smaller scenes between the reader and Vylad pre-Zane's interference that were present in the original version of this story, but I'll be making up for it in the flashbacks before the reader leaving O'Khasis and after. I have a lot I want to touch, both with things and ideas presented from the original series and Rebirth, so I'm hoping it manages to be consistent.

MCI out! Peace 😜